Midnightpunk Album Listening Party

Diamonds And Rust

On my iTunes it has gone onto Smooth Operator by Sade.

What a contrast.

1 Like

It is an album that made people sit up and accept Metal and Punk were so close to each other.

Some of the lyrics are fun and that comes across. Some of the lyrical content is plain inexcusable. I guess the album is notorious because of this. It is a game changing album in the content of it being 1985.

You just can’t get away from its tone though, which is a huge shame, because the music is so good.

2 Likes

Not quite sure i get the point of the 5 second songs but that was a thrilling listen.

Had to pull up the lyrics as it sounded like they were going to be key to understanding the controversy around the album and it is hard to listen objectively to some of the tracks on the album as there is no real excuse for the lyrical subject matter on some tracks.

Not one I am probably going to come back to that often as Punk Metal is definitely outside of my normal genre spread (but that’s why I enjoy these listening parties and hearing stuff I wouldn’t normally put on) but it’s hard not to be impressed by the tightness of the musicianship on this album and those moments that were just so damn catchy.

2 Likes

I think it was the first album to feature songs so short, and that spread like wildfire. I do not think You Suffer - Napalm Death would exist without this album, or Mega-Armageddon Death - Electro Hippies and many, many more bands that sprung up after hearing this album.

It set the tone and also the DIY scene got that anyone could make songs that were under 10 seconds long. Its influence is far reaching and the musicianship on it is fantastic. Milano is horrendous. I just don’t get why they went with him.

1 Like

Just looked this up.

I do now feel he does just want some milk for his cereal and coffee!

4 Likes

Not sure if @midnightpunk has anything specific planned but The Cocteau Twins Heaven or Las Vegas was released 32 years ago today so we could do that album for tonight?

1 Like

Go for it.

I’m off to see Godspeed You Black Emperor tonight so will miss whatever anyone wants to do.

Either feel very free to do one tonight without me, or hold back until Sunday and I’ll join in.

2 Likes

Cool, enjoy the gig. I am very jealous.

In that case as I am not sure what time i am back on Sunday I’m happy to host tonight’s album listening party so let’s go with:

Saturday 17th September, 9pm, Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

2 Likes

Here is the reminder that we will be listening to Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas in just under an hours time at 9:00pm if anyone wants to listen along.

1 Like

I’m in and I’m listening! The first one of these I’ve made.

Remember briefly listening to this album a few years back, really enjoying it, and not listening since for whatever reason.

3 Likes

Excellent, the more the merrier.

Here we go…

Cherry-Coloured Funk

1 Like

i definitely make up my own lyrics

1 Like

Big woozy guitars opening the track with Elizabeth Fraser’s ethereal vocals soaring over the top. Such an unmistakable sound.

2 Likes

I love the little mood change with this section before it goes back into the verse/chorus again.

1 Like

Pitch the Baby

The end of that last track always catches me off guard as it just ends.

1 Like

The bass and staccato vocals at the start of this almost give this track a slight funky sound.

2 Likes

lyrics sound french in this track

3 Likes