Midnightpunk Album Listening Party

In my mind this album is much more polished than Boxer, but it is actually more abrasive and in ways, noisy.

When he pulls the vocals back here, fantastic. It makes so much difference.

Little Faith

Another track where the drums take centre stage for me, the drummer for The National is one of my favourite drummers of the last few years, he rarely plays traditional drum patters. - edit this was in reference to Anyone’s Ghosts.

1 Like

Some intro on this one, that actual noise, then it relaxing into this, settles into a nice groove, the vocals are very well delivered.

1 Like

Love that little bass riff that leads into the verse on this.

1 Like

It’s one of those songs (by name) I’m not actually sure if I know, but when it comes on it is really lovely.

1 Like

Love the subtleties on this track, the light touches of guitar with strings quietly building in the background.

1 Like

Then there is real tension when that chorus kicks back in.

1 Like

Afraid of Everyone

This is just sublime. Not much between Boxer & High Violet for me. No bad songs on either album.

2 Likes

Love the backing vocals on this track, beautiful lifting above the menacing main melody and lyrics.

1 Like

Lyrics so warm, love the delivery of them, distant.

The lyrics to this are wonderful. The music is equal to that.

Those drums.

1 Like

Then that drum comes in with those guitar notes, sublime.

1 Like

Like being punched through a pillow.

1 Like

This was the first album I listened to from The National and after listening to it for a week I immediately went out and bought everything else they had released. Such a great album.

2 Likes

The vocal and lyric now, they don’t get better than this.

1 Like

Love those subtle brass notes that warm through the outro.

1 Like

Bloodbuzz Ohio

No let up on this album yet.

1 Like

Subtle monster after subtle monster.

1 Like