Midnightpunk Album Listening Party

An with that fade out the album is done.

2 Likes

That was a really good listen! Thought I hated their sound these days, but I really liked a good amount of that, and the last track was very, very good indeed.

Allergy cured!

4 Likes

it was a short one but a good one! i’ll be revisiting. spotify continued with songs from sugarcubes, sundays, slowdive all which i kind of thought about during the album.

4 Likes

apologies to @midnightpunk this was the first one i made, will try and work out how to remind myself of this in the future, great stuff!

4 Likes

A great album for me, definitely a more direct Cocteau Twins album than those that came before it but with Elizabeth Fraser’s vocals being so distinct even when they are pushed front and centre in the mix it’s still hard to discern most of the words.

Some beautiful high points on the album which for me manages to sound both delicate and fragile as well as a big warm hug. I don’t listen to it as often as I should because when they are good they are great and there is a lot great moments on this album.

Thanks @AttackDuck & @bluto for listening along and keeping the comments going. I always enjoy doing these.

4 Likes

Thanks so much for hosting that @Marwood ; as usual your choice was excllent and your organisation splendid! A very good way to spend 45 minutes!

3 Likes

Finally got around to checking this album out after meaning to for decades.
It’s very good isn’t it?

5 Likes

I’d find it hard to choose between it and the previous album, Blue Bell Knoll. BBK is slightly less accessible/weirder but the coming-out-of-the-cold feel of HoLV is so heady.

3 Likes

Anyone up for one of these tomorrow (Saturday, 24th September @9pm)?

1 Like

I am around to do one of these tomorrow.

1 Like

Cool, how about Jeff Wayne’s - War Of The Worlds.

9pm, Saturday, 24th September.

All welcome.

3 Likes

Gentle reminder for those feeling the Autumn.

Jeff Wayne’s - The War of The Worlds @9pm tonight.

1 Like

The Eve of the War

If you’re going to do a voice over. Do it like that.

Ooh, Disco.

1 Like

Those strings are so distinct, I’d definitely heard the opening piece of music used on multiple TV programmes well before I knew where it actually came from.

1 Like

That drum pattern with the galloping bass line really conveys the sense that something is coming.

1 Like

Also I am really loving how listening to this now in 2022 it feels both dated and yet still futuristic.

2 Likes

Have you heard this before?

I heard it as a child when it first came out. My grandparents were caretakers for an army barracks and one Saturday daytime in the bar some soldier type person came in from shopping with this album in a Woolworths bag and just handed it to me and a mate around the same age, would have been about 7 years old.

We sat next to the record player in the bar and poured over the booklet that is with the double vinyl and were transported away for the albums duration.

Not heard it for AGES.

2 Likes

I don’t think I have listened to it all the way through before, I’ve definitely heard pieces from it over the years, always meant to give it a full listen at some point.

1 Like

The chances of anything coming from Mars, are million to one - BUT STILL THEY COME

1 Like