Midweek Football Thread

Same happened with Bailly. Nowhere near as serious of course but when someone goes down with the same injury that’s just kept them out I can’t see how it’s wise to keep them on

Will be interesting to see what happens with Bailly now. Obviously he’s still a little raw but i’d still say he’s the best centre-half United have…but their best team probably doesn’t include him at the moment. Most likely Jones or Rojo will revert to type, but if they don’t it’s a nice problem to have. Weird how things can change so quickly.

Eric Djembegg-Djembegg?

That toast looks pretty aggressively toasted like.

Aye, one minute Jones is definitely done and should be chucked on the shit heap, now he’s the second coming of Duncan Edwards after all. I suspect, take Carrick out the team and both Jones and Rojo will start shitting the bed all over the place. And with Carrick and a settled midfield, Smalling and Bailly could be doing just as good a job but Smalling is apparently now the one fit for the shit tip. Dunno, football and narratives are weird.

1 Like

He’ll be off to AFCON for 6 matches or so soon anyway so plenty of time for Rojo and Jones to revert to type while he’s away. We’ll probs sign Fonte or Lindelöf in Jan.

Any places decent for away fans? I’ll be there on Saturday.

Also, apart from the injury, this’ll be a big part of the reason there’s no obvious place for Bailly in the team right now. Why break up RoJo if it’s working, when Bailly’s just going to fuck off to AFCON.

1 Like

With it being an early kickoff there won’t be many pubs open.

I think the Prince George on Thornton Heath high street is away friendly.

There is a spoons at Thornton Heath station.

Personally I’d go to Crystal Palace (one stop on the train) there are done great pubs up there, but with it kicking off early it won’t be worth it.

Great, thanks. I live Saaath East anyway so will jump on a bus to Crystal Palace. Thinking about after rather than before the game really, though a Spoons Breakfast may be in order.

Ok if after get the train to Crystal Palace, walk up the hill and go to Weston House or one of the other great pubs, Hardly any football fans go there, no idea why it’s only 5 minutes by train. Pretty great for a quiet decent ale rather than a shitty lager near the ground.

Or stay on the train to Gipsy Hill and go the Beer Rebellion. I love that place. Thank me later.

I’m probably going for s spoons breakfast in South Croydon before the game. Two stops on the train.

1 Like

Don’t think i’ve ever looked forward to a game less than Arsenal on Sunday. If we defend like we have been doing we’re going to get absolutely pumped.

Would’ve put the house on Arsenal fully shitting the bed on sunday, but they might’ve got it all out of their system midweek

2 Likes

Bit of a protest at the Coventry v Sheffield United game on Sky last night, Cov fans not happy with their owners and invaded the pitch a couple of times with banners etc. Sheffield United fans responding with songs in support of the owners, sounded a nasty atmosphere.

I feel like I’m in contact with enough of them to make a sweeping generalisation here, Sheffield United fans are an incredibly nasty set of twats

1 Like

The Cov fans all had whistles and the players were mistaking them for the ref’s whistle early on, pitch invasion towards the end that held up the game for a while as well. Fair play to them, peacefully making their point.

Sheff Utd fans chanting “There’s only one SISU” were fucking idiots, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again but until football fans can stop treating ownership like a partisan issue and actually start uniting across club-lines to protest it the game will continue to be blighted with scumbag owners.

6 Likes

Yes I wouldn’t wish administration or dodgy owners on any club, even Charlton and Brighton. Perhaps I wouldn’t care too much about Millwall to be honest.

I remember going up to Sheffield Wednesday v Palace in 2010 on the last day of the season. We needed a point to stay up and relegate Wednesday, if they beat us they’d stay up at our expense and we’d be relegated to League 1.
We were in administration, didn’t own our ground and were on the verge of being wound up. If we had gone down, it was more or less certain we’d be wound up as there were no interested parties. Parish and co only bought us as a last resort as fans and only because we managed to buy our ground back from Lloyds bank (who would probably have turned it into housing)

I honestly thought that was Palaces last ever game. I don’t think I’ve been so stressed at a football game ever.

I’ll never forget Charlton’s joy in relegating us from the Premier League in 2005, partying like they’d won the World Cup or something, saying they’d never play us again. In the end they were right I suppose. They also took great joy in us nearly going out of business. Despite that, I feel for their fans, as I wouldn’t wish the current owners on my worse enemy. I think Palace fans are bit more respectful to Charlton than the other way around, its a one sided rivalry.

1 Like

there’s not a better bunch of lads in English football at the moment, is there:

<3

I wish the club well because one of my pals is a diehard but having gone to Wembley with him and there was fighting within blades support etc + ched Evans shit kinda have to agree

Oh yeah obviously there are some decent sorts in there. but generally, over 5 years living here, they’re so much worse than wednesday fans (had a bottle smashed over my head, had the pub I worked at repeatedly vandalised, heard a lot of very horrible ched evans and also racist shit etc.)