Midwife

I know a few of you on here really enjoyed Midwife’s early Grouper-esque Like Author, Like Daughter - seems she released a 30 minute EP last year that I haven’t seen anyone mention. I wouldn’t want @zanimos or @TAFH33 to miss out!

https://sistergrotto.bandcamp.com/album/prayer-hands

2 Likes

Oh wow, I had completely missed this, thank you! This is fantastic and a must-hear for anyone who liked Like Author, Like Daughter - definitely not a throwaway EP whatsoever.

1 Like

I love that electronic static-woosh sound that comes in and out, it really adds to it.

1 Like

Ace. Thanks!
I’ve also been checking out her releases as Mariposa and Sister Grotto - all great stuff.

Yeah, must do that too, thanks for reminding me!

Forever was in my Nightshift mix.

Prayer Hands is essential listening. I’ll easily fall for this kind of thing in general, that Flenser-style slow-guitar-and-drum-machine-washed-the-fuck-out, but this is one of the best records of that style.

2 Likes

New album out in April. New track released today (saw this via Planning for Burial’s FB).

Ooh good, she sounds just like she did before - CAN’T WAIT!!! (Thanks :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:)

1 Like

Somehow didn’t listen to the album until now and it’s a brilliant, heartbreaking piece of work. Language is an immediate highlight.

1 Like

Midwife - and in particular Like Author Like Daughter - was my first experience with a kind of musical dislocation I’ve had a few times since. Namely, I saw that album mentioned a few times here and elsewhere and listened to it absolutely non stop - perfect for late nights, hazy mornings, hangovers, getting high, even good to read to.

And I just assumed for about two years she was MASSIVE. Then one day I saw she had less than 15k monthly listeners on Spotify and couldn’t believe it.

Still haven’t fully engaged with the new one yet but I will.

2 Likes

I think Like Author is very much like Dragging A Dead Deer, in that is one of a kind / unparalleled. But I know what you mean about dislocation.

There’s a new album out later this year. Here’s the first single. It sounds like it could be something from the first Youth Lagoon record.

2 Likes

If anyone wants to order the record direct European shipping is a lot cheaper via the label than Bandcamp.

1 Like

Norman have one copy of Like Author Like Daughter in their sale.

1 Like

There’s a new track out ahead of the album’s release this Friday.

Colorado sounds like the end of the world.

1 Like

Loving the new album - much prefer it to the last already.

1 Like

Yeah, I really struggled with the previous LP, and even stitching the best bits of it to Prayer Hands, didn’t really assemble I wanted to revisit. Luminol has a bleak fuzzy cohesion that really hangs together well, and at 30 or so minutes doesn’t outstay its welcome either.

Picked Luminol up off last week’s new releases thread having never heard of Midwife and I love it – totally my sort of thing. Tempted to snap up an LP while they’re still available; I’m a big fan of the black-and-white cover with vibrant coloured wax pairing.

Gonna give Like Author, Like Daughter a listen this morning. Intrigued by the Grouper comparisons.

1 Like

I don’t mean to be unfair to Luminol (particularly when you’re enjoying it), but LALD is comfortably her best, and certainly on a par with Dragging A Dead Deer…it’s absolutely awesome.

2 Likes