Mildly stressful aspects of parenting

First on the list: attempting to use a self-service checkout with children in tow. They want to use the checkout, but they don’t really know how to, and then they squabble over whose turn it is to scan, and then they both scan an item at the same time, and before you know it, the auto-checkout is telling you “please wait, help is coming”.

There’s other stuff, I’m sure. Emphasis on the mildly stressful, please!

3 Likes

Currently everything is incredibly stressful.

If I’m with another adult, rare, every situation is immediately demoted to mildy (or not at all) stressful.

Self service check outs are a good shout ccb.

2 Likes

Oh my current one is crossing the road. Teaching road safety is an absolute nightmare because if you’re standing holding a toddler’s hand waiting to cross the road, pretty often you’ll get cars stopping to wave you across. I get that they’re trying to be nice, but when you’re trying to teach a toddler that they must never walk out in front of cars and must always wait for a safe, clear road before crossing, it’s infuriating. Plus you can’t always see what’s going on on the other side of the road cos they’re stopped in the way blocking your view, making it even more dangerous. Just drive to the rules of the road like you’re supposed to! I’ve got to the point where if cars stop and try to wave us across I just pretend not to have seen them. They sit there for ages and I can see them out of the corner of my eye furiously gesticulating at me, about 10 seconds later they drive on in a huff and I WIN.

6 Likes

The overtired intermittent crying from 8-11 every night

2 Likes

The destruction of Lego sets when friends come over.

What am I talking about? This is super stressful and upsetting.

2 Likes

Oh gosh, that seems more like extremely stressful. Do you get much sleep from 11 til the morning?

2 Likes

The Feats of Strength aspect of Festivus

5 Likes

Think that’s stressful for my parents too

It’s the summer holidays, come back to me when my cortisol levels are back to baseline

Actually, we’ve had a lovely time, but I had forgotten how hard it is to balance work and providing for the needs of a whole extra person who really just wants to hang and show you cool stuff constantly

2 Likes

Yeah she sleeps like a log once she’s down. Does a solid 6-7 hours most nights which is pretty rare for her age. But it does feel like we’ve spent most evenings the last few weeks just trying to placate her rather than actually relaxing.

Explaining to them why they can’t like or support James Corden

2 Likes

Lovely through ball from twinkletoes and a neat finish from bruv

2 Likes

*Explaining why capitalism is a fucking crock and they don’t NEED all the shit they see, despite their grandparents being only too keen to buy them everything in sight

6 Likes

Mildly? :frowning:

2 Likes

Or relatively so :frowning:

(I guess I was thinking about my own situation and all the Big Worries that I have about my children, as opposed to the little flashpoints)

1 Like
4 Likes

Would be far more relatable if they hadn’t had a bucket handy, tried to catch sick in cupped hands, one parent and baby drenched in vomit, then the other parent covered in poo when cleaning up

5 Likes

Also what is this shit? Tourist leaflets for the local area?

1 Like

I dunno, we set up a camcorder with low light vision in the early paranoid days with no 1. Wouldn’t have been on when we were in the room though. Or recording

1 Like

yeah, this is really annoying. Drivers trying to be helpful but letting me cross the first side of the road, while traffic going the other way have absolutely no idea what’s going on isn’t really safe. I’ll just wait until all the cars aren’t there thanks and then cross the road

2 Likes