Minor reasons you refuse to listen to a band/artist

any mention of there always being a dance element to their music is another gigantic red flag

1 Like

Nah maybe more hesitant rather than rule it out.

On the other hand “they’ve got the synths out to reinvent their sound”

2 Likes

this is often a bad sign, but it worked really well for The Twilight Sad…

3 Likes

No, they are all great albums. Beforehand, I thought that because the key member had been replaced, how could it be the same band? Especially in heavy music where I imagined the guitarists wrote most of the riffs and then the rest of the band just played along. Which was obviously false.

What sort of swayed it was that I saw a video of Mike Patton teaching Jim Martin how to play Malpractice on guitar. Then I read how James Spence of Rolo Tomassi actually wrote a lot of their guitar parts. This made me realise that the composition was actually a lot different and more in heavy bands to what I’d thought.

Really getting back into RT at the moment. Time Will Die…might be my gave of theirs…

2 Likes

That’s the one time it worked okaaayyy but even then I was put off by the mere thought of it tbh.
Came round to it though. Albums before and after are better imo.

tbf I’d say they’ve kept the synths out ever since really

1 Like

Aye they have but they’ve done it better since and it was a bit of an adjustment.

Great band and great purchase.

1 Like

Regarding Faith No More – although Jim wasn’t necessarily involved in songwriting that much, his guitar sound was very much a part of those earlier albums. It’s such a weird tone when you think about it. Can’t think of anyone else who’s ever sounded like that. I can kind of see where you were coming from though – King For A Day is a great album and also the others that followed it, but they didn’t sound the same again.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the Spoonerism be Noanna Jewsom?

I like Joanna Gruesome as a name though. Feels knowingly silly.

2 Likes

If your band name is a sentence I probably won’t listen to you

Whereas, on the other hand, if your band name is a sentence, I Would Set Myself On Fire For You.

2 Likes

It they’ve changed their name for ‘The Somethings’ to ‘Something Something and The Somethings’ I’m deeply suspicious.

It’s an amazing album.

3 Likes

Really want to form a band called this now

5 Likes

Recorded drums in the studio with Foals.

Wasn’t on the record, didn’t get paid, re-recorded simplified by their own guy

Fuck Foals.

what’s the context for this?

1 Like

Oh.

I will no longer listen to Foals.

Sorry I think I’d misread the post, I somehow thought you wouldn’t listen to any band who had recorded drums in the studio with Foals and hadn’t gotten paid without realising it was an anecdote :laughing:

4 Likes

Oof that is shady as fuck! Really liked their last two albums/double album after not listening to a note for years. Was it those you recorded for?

Edit: I’d say that’s a major reason to sack them of forever tbf

3 Likes