MNP's 100 Greatest Movies of All-Time!

Yes, yes, yes I know. I have at last nailed 100, in order… and yes I know you all know already what my Number 1 will be… but the journey is as good as the destination, so, off we go…

1. Harold and Maude (1971).

It’s cult, but not as we know it. I only got around to watching Harold and Maude about 7 years ago. An eccentric movie that you will either love or hate, I think it says a lot about a person that likes this movie, it will baffle some yet when you go with its off the wall story the warmth simply floods through like it does in seldom few other movies.

That connection, pure friendship and shared ideals and ideas. Opposites in ways the fact the film makes you forget the multi-generational age gap and as a plot develops you just go along with them, the film literally takes you away peppered with philosophy and daring to be different. Inventive. Creative. Unique.

6 Likes

Nice thread.

1 Like
  1. Purple Rain (1984).

Sure. It’s not the best movie ever made, but it might be the 99th best one. Purple Rain is more than a film. It is an artist at the natural peak of their powers. The point where they say enough, this is me, it’s flawed, yet it works.

It’s about the music. A wafer thin plot, exploitative in ways that may leave a sour taste, however, viewed with 80’s lenses on it captures domestic abuse, feeling trapped, art as an escape, it strives to free itself and move on. Semi-autobiographical maybe, it is handled in a heavy handed way but the over-riding feel is that is not the intention. Essentially it is reaching out for your dreams. Purple Rain the movie has a great look, it shines. It’s hard to separate it from the album, but that could never be a problem, for it was an album that shaped the 1980’s.

Imagine an artists defining work also being a movie. Imagine that investment of belief by a film / music studio (Warners). Imagine.

Purple Rain is shit. Purple Rain is fucking outstanding.

2 Likes

Lovely film. Excellent soundtrack :+1:

1 Like

Terrible film. Excellent soundtrack :+1:

1 Like

I am waiting to see if one particular film makes your list based on my username.

1 Like

I remember a good old school friend gong on about that film (long after school) talking about the globe spinning scene at the end whilst he was incredibly stoned. About how intense that was and he saw the continents flying off the globe in the film from his screen (good weed I guess).

Get in the back of the van.

1 Like

Ooh good thread

2 Likes

Think you’ve got your number 1 and number 100 the wrong way around.

<3 Harold and Maude.

2 Likes
  1. A.W.O.L. (1990).

Jean-Claude Van Damme’s finest film. I was living in a flat above a launderette in 1990 and my flatmate and his girlfriend had rented A.W.O.L. and left it on top of the video recorder. A mate called round in the daytime and with the flat empty laughed at the cover of the VHS tape, this must be awful. We ended up sticking it on and were pretty much blown away by it, so much so I rented all the previous Van Damme movies shortly afterwards, they were all very similar, but none of the touched A.W.O.L.

A.W.O.L. starts off with Van Damme as an Action Man styled soldier in a version of the foreign legion. Revenge is soon on the cards as his brother is murdered, the plot sticks a bit for the first 10 minutes but it’s there for good reason. The film then evolves at lighting speed into a Tekken-a-like. Brilliantly cast B-Movie feels, Van Damme’s manager / agent is so damn good in this as the opponents increase in difficulty and a wild Rocky does MMA theme emerges.

A.W.O.L. looks like Yuppie 1980’s go 1990’s, it looks like the time it was made in and I love this in movies. Fast moving. Incredible one-liners. Themes like Til-Tok-ers giving money to the homeless emerge decades before phone video apps, emo Arnie. The film, as violent as it is is actually nicely endearing and heartfelt. It sure as hell beats watching a Conor McGregor documentary on Netflix.

As those Tekken levels rise A.W.O.L. veers towards snuff movie video nasty territory yet keeps a faithful Enter The Dragon vibe, I’m not sure how it manages this, but it just does.

Wrong bet

He gonna kill your ass, don’t you know that?

Scotland? Scotland’s shit

A.W.O.L. is awful. A.W.O.L. is PERFECT.

10/10.

5 Likes
  1. Rear Window (1954).

Rear Window was broadcast on television late at night on the day I left school. I’ll never forget that feeling of all of the possibilities of life ahead of me. As I sat and watched it on my own in the living room I was drawn into a voyeuristic main character, then it dawned on me that I was being just as voyeuristic watching, you are watching someone watching, and I don’t think I’d ever had a thought like that before. Even in 1986 Rear Window was an old film, I began to realise it’s timeless qualities.

Rear Window is expertly shot, every scene looks incredible. It draws you deeper and deeper in the whole way through and leads to a fantastic finale. It feels lazy, hazy, philosophical, dreamy yet plays out like a murder foiling soap opera. This blend is like few other films I have seen. I re-watched it a few years ago on Blu Ray and it remains just as captivating as it did when I was 16. A Classic.

8 Likes

Never seen AWOL but it sounds really up my street. I’ve been in a real “proper” action movie mood over the last few months, very few films since the 90s scratch the itch.

Rear Window is a classic. My Jimmy Stewart impression is not.

1 Like

Late 80’s / early 90’s action films were a different beast for sure. I have A.W.O.L. on DVD but the picture quality looks like its ripped fro VHS, not a huge issue as the film is so good. I’m surprised Vinegar Syndrome haven’t picked it up and given it a boutique Blu Ray treatment, it is available on Blu Ray already however. If Vinegar Syndrome can sell out copies of RoadHouse at the £50 price point A.W.O.L. would probably do the same. It is highly recommended.

1 Like

Love Roadhouse! Hope there’s some Chow Yun Fat action coming up in the list!

2 Likes
  1. Clue (1985).

Clue is probably the film I have watched the 2nd most times and I can not really say why. It is just an effortless watch, every time it is enjoyable. Every time I watch it I spot something new, or finally get a joke, or find a joke I already got way funnier. Brilliantly cast, light hearted, dark humour. It’s a bit Simpsons-like in the way it will appeal to children and adults in differing ways. A board game come to life yet nothing here is boring, the opposite in fact.

The DVD has 3 endings that will play out randomly to reveal who-dunnit. I’m not sure how they got around this for its initial cinema release. Clue is an absolute hoot.

8 Likes
  1. Samsara (2011).

A visual work of pure wonder. Impossible to describe. When Samsara gets you then you will fall deep into its art, for this is art in cinema. No dialogue, just our globe and when you see humans, animals, seas, factories, Americans with guns, slaughterhouses, rituals, landscapes, the beauty of our world, its ugly sides, more, much more. Like I say, impossible to describe. Nothing quite like it.

3 Likes
  1. Dogtown and Z-Boys (2001).

Skateboarding nirvana. The docu-film that captures skateboarding going from an underground activity to become a cultural touchpoint and now recognised sport. Guerrilla drained swimming pools targeted like some Punk version of The Swimmer, but… better. Incredible old footage captures a spirit of a movement, a belief, something inherent and that art with its alternative ways is nothing short of viewing heaven.

9 Likes

Watched this with our kids a couple of years back when they were quite young and they enjoyed it :+1:

You get all three (assuming it’s the same as the TV/streaming version)…

1 Like

What an amazing soundtrack too

1 Like

A real late Saturday afternoon on ITV comfort film, much like The Burbs

1 Like