Mogwai 2021 - New LP "As the Love Continues"

So they tweeted that they’ve finished mixing the new LP a few days ago, and now they have a website with a countdown for Monday morning.

Even though I’ve not been completely into the last few albums, I’m still excited by what they do…

http://mogwaiannounce.com/

Been a while since they’ve done an album I loved and am sad that John’s gone , but looking forward to the new one as I loved what Dave Fridmann did with CODY.

Mogwai got me through so tough times in the late 90’s- even have a Young Team tattoo so will always be willing to give what they do a go.

new song

plus album out sept 1st

Listening now. Enjoying.

New track is fucking great

1 Like

Tracklisting: Coolverine, Party In The Dark, Brain Sweeties, Crossing The Road Material, aka 47, 20 Size, 1000 Foot Face, Don’t Believe The Fife, Battered At A Scramble, Old Poisons, Every Country’s Sun

2 Likes

It is.

Love the drumming on it. Looking forward to the album!

Well isn’t this song just bloodly lovely. I’ve had a pretty shit time the past week and feeling a particular peak this morning. This is helping.

Sorry to hear that mate, glad this track is helping!

Want to temper my expectations a little bit but this really does sound excellent, and very much like the Mogwai I know and love. I think the change in producer (back to Dave Friedman) and the reduction in members has really focused them and. Stuart said to MAH that they felt re-galvanised and it seems to come across in this track.

Very very excited for the new LP

1 Like

Enjoying the new track feels like the intersection of their work in soundtracks and their general output as a band.

1 Like

Know what you mean about the Mogwai we know and love. Lost way way with them a bit over the last few albums but listening to this today reminded me of when I first heard John Peel play one of their tracks back in the late 90’s.

Excited definitely.

1 Like

Every Country’s Sun takes two decades of Mogwai’s signature, contrasting sounds – towering intensity, pastoral introspection, synth-rock minimalism, DNA-detonating volume – and distills it, beautifully, into 56 concise minutes of gracious elegance, hymnal trance-rock, and transcendental euphoria. Produced by psych-rock luminary Dave Fridmann, it’s a structural soundscape built from stark foundations up; from a gentle, twinkling, synth-rock spectre to a solid, blown-out, skyward-thrusting obelisk. There’s percussive, dream-state electronics (“Coolverine”), church organs as chariots of existential fire (“Brain Sweeties”), tremulous, foreboding bleeping – possibly from a dying android (“aka 47”). Their most transportive album yet, it also hosts their most fully realized art-pop sing-along of their storied history, “Party In The Dark,” a head-spinning disco-dream double-helix echoing New Order and The Flaming Lips, featuring Braithwaite’s seldom-heard melodic vocals declaring he’s “directionless and innocent, searching for another piece of mind”. This is music as a keep-out chrysalis, protective audio armor through exalting organs and portentous, dissonant guitar fuzz warping at the edges, bending the world inside-out into a reality in which you’d much rather live. The last three songs ascend into explosive exorcism, closing with the colossal “Every Country’s Sun,” its searching intensity whooshing towards infinity in a dazzling cosmic crescendo.

Lol at 56 minutes being concise, but I’m glad it’s going to be a long album!

You wot mate?

New tune’s cool :grinning:

Party in the Dark getting a first play right now on Lauren Laverne’s 6music show

ooh Mogwai have made a pop banger!!

Really like this

5 Likes

Said it up-thread but the new album sounded phenomenal live.

1 Like