Mogwai 2021 - New LP "As the Love Continues"

Epic list!

Does Central Belters have tracks not covered in the other releases?

I’ve never heard the Earth Division EP.

I think the likes of Music Industry should be absorbed into the ‘session’ for the previous album… otherwise I feel like interest might lag.

1 Like

LPs 5&6 or CD 3 has compilation/B-sides/tour only/etc. tracks that (I don’t think) are on anything listed above. If Central Belters stays on the list I’d just do this stuff, not sure going over 4LPs worth of album tracks will throw up much new if we’ve already discussed the albums. It would get us My Father, My King, but I’d probably just include that in a Rock Action thread if I was setting this up.

I’d agree with losing The Fountain and Before The Flood (don’t really think of them as Mogwai records), and personally I’m not really fussed about the remix or live records (would rather just keep those and B-sides to the closest appropriate album thread). Definitely up for revisiting some Mogwai I haven’t listened to in a good while though - haven’t played any of the albums between EP+6 and Hardcore all the way through in a good 10 years.

3 Likes

Thanks all. So, general consensus is:

• all albums, soundtracks (apart from fountain and before the flood) and important compilations (ten rapid, EP+6)
  • EPs to be wrapped up with albums as “bonus material”
  • we can play central belters by ear when we get to that - and we can just do the stuff the three of us that are left haven’t talked about already
  • unsure about live and remix albums so here’s a poll
What should we do with live/remix albums?
  • All of them to get their own week
  • Just remix albums
  • Just live albums
  • None of them
  • Only include some of them and I’ll make the case for specific ones below
  • Who cares just start the damn thing already

0 voters

Don’t really care about the remix albums. Enjoy the live albums but not fussed if they’re left out/touched on in the Hawk / ECS threads

1 Like

Listening club thread is live! Mogwai Listening Club

3 Likes

In fact the remix albums could be covered in the Young Team and Hardcore weeks as well

3 Likes

Aye fire away :grinning::+1:

1 Like

Teenage Exorcists is my desert island disc of theirs, as a long term(ish) fan. I love poptastic Mogwai. This album ain’t hitting all the high notes for me just yet, but we’ll see eh?

1 Like

My copy just arrived.
Roll on quitting time!

1 Like

It’s a good one but I’m not in the ‘one of the best things they’ve ever done’ camp. Probably the best one since Hardcore though

3 Likes

Was listening to 2018 this morning. It’s pretty amazing, just brilliant versions of the news songs. Love it.

1 Like

I agree with the consensus that Rave Tapes was a bit thin but I really liked Atomic and …Sun so it’s not jumping out at me as a massive return to form, as I don’t think the form ever went away.

1 Like

I’m quite surprised how much love Hardcore gets, always seemed like the start of the ‘Yep, it’s Mogwai’ phase to me. MGP is a banger live, lots of the other stuff to me is forgettable or has a cool intro but outstays its welcome. But then I love The Hawk is Howling and Special Moves, so might just have shit Mogwai taste.

Just bought it. Will listen in the car on the way to work. I want to like it, so hopefully the individual tracks I’ve already heard make more sense in the context of the album.

I agree. Love this album a lot already. I liked Every country’s sun but I like this more. They seem to have thrown a lot of ideas into this and it’s paid off.

Genuinely did not realise there was a Colin Stetson cameo on this record until I read the P4K review! Must be pretty buried in the mix or I need my ears syringing.

1 Like

ooh i like this one

the opening track is the one i find sounds a bit lost but most people seem to be into it

1 Like

Two listens in and starting to like it, it’s going to take some time to properly digest. The beginning is definitely soundtracky as others have said but I think it’s working.

Closest thing to a gripe so far is that I wish it ended kind of differently / had one more fast and/or heavy one at the end. The slow, non-melodic dirges that don’t really go for the kill aren’t my favorites of theirs.

Very early top 3 in no order:

• Ritchie Sacramento
  • Midnight Flit
  • Pat Stains

All three feel like instant classics.

Early “should keep these to myself” Takes:

• Ceiling Granny doesn’t sound like Siamese Dream, but it would fit on Oceania alongside Inkless.
  • First thing I thought of with Midnight Flit is Blink 182’s s/t album, the progression is very Delongean.
    Reminds me of Violence and Down.

They’re number 1 in the UK midweek charts. Post Rock train spotters of DiS unite!

16 Likes