Mogwai 2021 - New LP "As the Love Continues"

Conversely I think It’s What I Want To Do, Mum. is the best thing on the album and a superb way to end it.

2 Likes

Kind of amazing that really.

Bet the vinyl sales are way above the average number 1 as well.

1 Like

They’ll probably drop to 5/6/7 once streaming is included but still impressive. Imagine there’ll be a tour announcement within the next week or so for 2022.

1 Like

In the middle of listen #3, just want to praise Drive the Nail. Think it’s one of the best now.

Realized what it reminds me of:

Just need to elaborate on this after listen #3. First part is Inkless, the chorus part is like a melodic repurposing of parts of MCIS-era song Marquis in Spades. Didn’t think much of Ceiling Granny at first but now it’s a favorite.

Loving this album, might be getting ahead of myself but could see it cracking their top three in time.

It’s a shame that the one of the other contenders is the new Foo Fighters. If ever there was a difference between a band plodding out another record for no reason, and a band hitting new highs at this stage in their career…

To clarify, Foo Fighters are the former here :wink:

6 Likes

Did my first listen.
Richie, Ceiling Granny and Midnight Flit are early faves.
Ceiling Granny’s guitar tone sounds like they’ve got Rod Jone in.
First few tracks sound like they could have come from Kin.
Really like it.
Will need a few more listens to properly take it all in.

1 Like

In the credits on the vinyl it says dream talk introduction by Benjamin John Power (Blanck Mass).
Do they mean the spoken word part at the very start of the album? Or another part? I’ve met and spoken to him but it doesn’t sound like him. Maybe it is him?? :man_shrugging:t2:

Read an interview with Stuart where he said BJP talks in his sleep in a weird voice and records himself, that was apparently one of the phrases he came out with.

11 Likes

Yep - attended a zoom Q&A with the band hosted by Ian Rankin last night, and this came up. Stuart said that this was a recording of BJP in his sleep, and doesn’t sound like his normal speaking voice.

Apparently the name of Ceiling Granny comes from the band watching The Exorcist 3!

Band seem like a friendly bunch.

5 Likes

just bought one of the re-air gig tickets, decided to actually commit after being annoyed that I missed out on other livestreams over lockdown. First virtual gig for me!

think it’s pretty stupid more bands didn’t offer the “watch at your leisure” model tbh

3 Likes

That’s brilliant…

4 Likes

wasn’t really planning on buying a copy of the album but seeing as it’s in with a shout of number 1 i might as well

Banquet seems to be the cheapest place to order the CD online, if anyone else is thinking of getting it, only 80p postage

1 Like

Gave it a listen in the car last night. First impressions are that it’s another perfectly competent Mogwai album, but nothing special. Enjoyed the first track, then things tailed off quite badly for a bit. Still don’t see the point in Dry Fantasy; possibly the most anodyne lead single they’ve released. Drive The Nail was kinda trying to do classic Mogwai, but plodded a little bit. Ceiling Granny made me smile a lot, and things picked up from there - Midnight Flit was excellent and overall the second half of the album was stronger than the first. Still got no idea why so many folk are hailing this as ‘their best ever’ or close to it, but :man_shrugging: Will give it another go on the way to work tonight.

I think what I miss most about ‘old’ Mogwai is the really propulsive drumming they’ve mostly given up on. Their earlier material had so much more momentum than their newer stuff. Also miss the loud and brutal guitars, quite frankly. I get that they can only record so much in that early vein without getting bored or repeating themselves, but replacing what was their ‘calling card’ with more anonymous, interchangeable synth instrumentation has been to their detriment for me.

1 Like

finding this album sounds a bit better with each listen

2 Likes

i’d say there’s quite a lot of those on this record

2 Likes

I didn’t notice that many, so I’ll need to give it another listen.

stop the count!

8 Likes

tbf I read earlier that you have to stream an album 100 times before it counts the same as 1 purchase in the charts, probably still a ways off

1 Like

Really wish only purchases counted in the charts tbf.
(yes I know the charts don’t matter anyway)

1 Like