Mogwai Listening Club

I listened to it on my first long drive in ages and it really struck me how re-energised it sounds. I liked Mr Beast and Hawk more this time but honestly they sound like they’re enjoying it so much more on HWND. Gets rid of that thing where the loud rock track feels out of place too, sludgy riffs on Rano Pano fit nicely alongside the more languid synth stuff.

There’s a chance this is edging up to be an all time favourite tbh

4 Likes

I was going to give it a 9 but dropped it to 8 because of That song. :smiley:

Great album.

1 Like

There proof that Beast and Hawk are the shite ones then. Yaaaaas

There aren’t any shite ones

4 Likes

Time for another soundtrack, and their first album or soundtrack to include a cover version (or at least I think so anyway - please correct me!).

Next up: Les Revenants , released 25/03/2013.

Happy listening!

6 Likes

And as promised, let’s discuss A Wrenched Virile Lore (released 19/11/2012) this week too. If anything, that should keep the Hardcore love going a bit longer!

1 Like

Listened to Hardcore a few times this week and absolutely love it. Didn’t think there was a duff track on it - even those that felt a bit more incidental (Letters To The Metro, Death Rays) were absolutely spot on, and would have been highlights on Hawk or Mr Beast. I think somebody else said it reminded them of the most recent one, and I felt the same. Hangs together really well and is a treat from start to finish. It’s a 9 from me.

2 Likes

Ooh, I’d forgot this was next. Remember liking some stuff on this (and ya know what I never watched the second series of the show) though I can never get past one of the main little cues being a total lift from Portishead

2 Likes

I kind of wish they’d release the ‘original’ score from Les Revenants without the beefed-up arrangements.

Always felt a bit :person_shrugging: with this one

Always love they snuck a Limmy reference into the ost of a French horror TV series

3 Likes

Really enjoyed the first series of the tv show and the music fitted it very well I thought. Don’t remember too much about the second series except that I don’t think it had quite the same impact for me. I’m curious, presumably Mogwai recorded additional material for the second series after they released this album?

Also @sizeofanocean, was wondering if perhaps we should have a poll to see if Music for a Forgotten Future makes it on the playlist, similar to the one for My Father My King? It’s slightly different I suppose with MfaFF being attached to an album. Happy with whatever you, as king of the listening club, decide to do with it.

1 Like

Very happy to!

Should we put Music For A Forgotten Future on the playlist?
  • Yes please!
  • Nah, you’re alright

0 voters

1 Like

Absolutely love the Les Rev soundtrack. Think until the latest lp came out it was definitely my favourite of the “modern” era mogwai records.

It has the advantage of a soundtrack in that it breaks the mould/ rut they were in at this point and presents us with something different but without the drawback of most soundtracks in that it doesn’t sound either repetitive or slight.

Bloody love this record.

6 Likes

Excited to relisten to this in mind of this discussion. Especially as the Les Rev… soundtrack is one of my go to listens quite often when I’m not sure what to listen to on any particular occasion. :blush:

4 Likes

Ok Stuart, the masses have spoken, drop werewolf and put San Pedro back in the live set. :grin:

3 Likes

May as well get this out of the way. Seems to be more or less the right spot.

8 Likes

Further back along the road, this could have made quite a good album cover:

1 Like

Probably haven’t listened to any album more often over the last decade than Les Revenants. Think it is absolutely one of the best soundtracks released in the last 20 years - along with Mica Levi’s Under the Skin.

Will write more about the actual music later but it’s an easy nailed on 10.

8 Likes

Les Revenants is the best thing they’ve done since Happy Songs IMO, and they’ve not quite matched it since either. Something about the pace and sense of space in works beautifully. Much simpler, more open songs and production.

5 Likes