Mogwai Listening Club

Wait until the DiS music board Hunted By a Freak remix album. Each remix more hunted and freakish than the last!

7 Likes

It’s midweek poll time! Pick yer top two.

Les Revenants
  • Hungry Face
  • Jaguar
  • The Huts
  • Kill Jester
  • This Messiah Needs Watching
  • Whisky Time
  • Special N
  • Relative Hysteria
  • Fridge Magic
  • Portugal
  • Eagle Tax
  • Modern
  • What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?
  • Wizard Motor

0 voters

Also there’s a tie for last week between San Pedro and Mexican Grand Prix for the playlist, so I’m making the executive decision to put them both on.

4 Likes

The crazed megalomania of it all. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m afraid it’s all gone to my head.

3 Likes

would be good if they threw a couple of tracks from this into the live set. especially when a lot of them are quite short. the drums on Hungry Face would be great live

6 Likes

Voted. That was a tough decision!

4 Likes

Yep, also found it difficult to pick out individual tracks. Apart from maybe the last two songs none of them particularly stand out, and they don’t seem to want to either. For me, those first 12 tracks create the essence of the album, a quiet disquiet, if that makes sense. But plenty tension and atmosphere.

Agree with @Icarus-Smicarus that the drums on Hungry Face would be great live.

5 Likes

genuinely thought, at the time, this was peak late era mogwai, and nothing would attain those heights. We’ll get there, obviously, but for me this was such a strange point in their graph, but so suited to them, it was frankly exceptional.

genuinely a break through record for me. i really enjoy Atomic, but this is their best sound track by far

Note: are we doing Atomic, Kin and Before the Flood as well as full weeks?

5 Likes

We’ll definitely do Atomic and Kin as full weeks. I was going to suggest Before The Flood as a bonus listen, probably in Atomic week, but I’m very happy to bow to popular opinion!

4 Likes

Before the flood is only 4 Mogwai songs isn’t it?
Best just tack it on to something else.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I thought - I reckon we treat it like we did The Fountain a few weeks ago.

3 Likes

yeah agree with this.

1 Like

wild ins’t that on that album the only folk not oscar winners are Mogwai

1 Like

I agree with this.

Listening to LR for the first time in ages, it’s dead good. I particularly love Wizard Motor, sounds like a continuation of some of Hawk’s better moments. Only downside for me is What Are They Doing in Heaven Today, I generally like that sort of Christian Americana, but I don’t think the performance sustains the length here.

3 Likes

Really difficult to choose favourite tracks as I do very much listen to this as one piece. Wizard Motor just missing out for me but would probably have been my third pick.

5 Likes

Another vote for this being top tier Mogwai, though not really a return form for me, just a continuation of the great run from Happy Songs. Reckon this would be an ideal starter album for someone who’s not sold on the whole post-rock thing, certainly I think it’s Mogwai’s most immediate, accessible listen.

3 Likes

not yet

2 Likes

Exactly that. It’s the only Mogwai album that my daughter will sit all the way through :grimacing:

2 Likes