Mogwai Listening Club

There is for me but I think its ludicrous that for the 2nd year in a row RSD is going ahead in person during a Pandemic. Only the oul lads will have both jab doses and everyone will be queuing in close proximity (maybe for hours) distancing will go out the window and everyone’s going to be flipping through the same records.

Also of note is that in USA the coloured zerozerozero LP is a standard release, not RSD.
Make it an indie only release in the UK by all means but joining the RSD free for all in such times is not a great move imo.

Yeah I was really surprised rsd is going ahead in store.

I got Ten Rapid from hhv a couple of years ago so hoping I can do the same.

I’d definitely really the free vinyl, alot, but may be a little embarrassed if they saw my disclosing of my dream :see_no_evil:

I’m not obsessed guys…honest!

1 Like

Sure who hasn’t had a Mogwai dream before!

1 Like

I dreamt a full Mogwai set during the first lockdown.

It was fantastic :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah I will either try my luck online or hope there’s a copy left in store on a quiet, normal day at my local when I’m fully masked up and there’s not a crowd of aggressive [insert bad legacy act with a reissue out every week] fans breathing all over me.

1 Like

I find comfort in this, also, a little jealous you dreamt a full set and I just got 3 songs :wink:

2 Likes

Phew! :blush:

1 Like

Yes! I love Soundtrack Mogwai.

This is great, maybe the most underrated album? Seems to be very under the radar; perhaps because the film didn’t do much?

Love the shimmering guitars, the throbbing synths, the brooding menace.

Donuts is right up there with their best tracks imo - it’s one of those tracks that just floods your ears with light. The title track is immense and they nail the Mog take on the film playout song with We’re Not Done. Imo there’s not a weak track and not a single bit of flab, it’s a really taut album especially given the nature and function of soundtracks.

Maybe, maybe it’s just half a notch below Les Rev & Zerox3 on the ost front just because it doesn’t have that thread of a distinct unifying theme running throughout. But I’m probably going to end up listening to this album at least a dozen times this week it’s so enjoyable.

5 Likes

Juno have a white vinyl version on preorder. I presume this is the U.S. import as it’s so expensive - €42 compared to €17 for the rsd version!

1 Like

Wow. I will investigate further. Sometimes us copies end up being available over here at reasonable prices over time.
Even at that cost it’s probably less than the ebay scums will try to flog it.

1 Like

Here we go. Three weeks left, and it’s another soundtrack. According to Wikipedia, this is their first full film soundtrack (as opposed to documentary or series), so let’s see what we make of that shall we.

Next up: Kin , released 31/08/2018.

Happy listening!

6 Likes

Dear Mogwai.

We know you’re reading so forgive the directness.
Why do you not play Donuts live? I mean, just listen to it.

Why do you insist on making your fans sad by not playing one of the best songs you’ve ever written?*

* I will accept having to pay the film producers as a reason

4 Likes

Just been listening to “Donuts” (Well the first half of Kin really) while doing some baking. I forgot how good a song it is…

Excited for this week’s once again, definitely going to be more than one listen ahead…

2 Likes

Please tell me you’re making donuts :grinning:

4 Likes

The movie seems to have dropped off Netflix.
Fwiw I thought it was a good ‘indie’ quality scifi that focuses a lot more on the characters than the scifi end of things. Good performances throughout.
The special effects that are there are done very well.
Basically a family drama with scifi stuff and a soundtrack by Mogwai. What’s not to like.
Worth a watch if you can find it.

4 Likes

Unfortunately not :joy:

Ah that’s a shame. I was hoping to watch the film this week too, had been holding off until it was time to listen to the album for listening club. Will try and hunt it down elsewhere.

don’t think i got round to listening to Kin for a good while after it came out for some reason. just kept forgetting about it and as it was only soundtrack Mogwai it didn’t seem too urgent. HMV had the CD reduced to a fiver for a while as well and i kept meaning to have a listen and see if it was worth picking up but never got round to it.

when i eventually did listen to it i was expecting another Atomic but i find it a bit more engaging than Atomic. i like the droneyness and tension of it, Donuts in particular, and then you know it’s all building towards that brilliant closing track We’re Not Done, which floored me a bit when i first got to it. certainly the best track on any of the soundtracks, and i think it might be the best of their recent spate of shoegaze vocal tracks. i notice that it’s one of their few soundtrack tracks that gets played a bit in normal live sets, and i hope they keep it in the live set as i’d love to see them play it.

Kin’s still not as good as Les Rev and i still don’t find it as engaging as an album as most of the studio albums but it’s one of their better soundtracks i think.

it’s also now the only Mogwai album i own on vinyl as i found it in a local second hand record shop for £12 just before Christmas in great condition (also found Friend of the Night on 7" in there a few weeks before)

haven’t seen the film

4 Likes

I was wondering while I was listening to it yesterday how We’re Not Done was received. It’s probably the most ‘Pop / Commercial’ track I’ve heard from Mogwai and I absolutely love it.

Didn’t really listen to this album when released and think a lot of it would work better with the film (not seen it) but doesn’t do too much for me as a standalone, Funeral Pyre into Donuts is nice, both great pieces of music but other than that this is on the lower end of things for me. Not really getting Donuts as much as others here but will give it a few more goes because I can hear it there but just not grabbing me.

1 Like