Monday football thread

aye heā€™s pish as well.

I would add he looks really uncomfortable at LCB.

He was god awful yesterday even after switching to RCB, but willing to give him a pass as he was consistently excellent last year.

Like I said though, itā€™s very easy for a CB to look superb in a game where he has nothing to do.

I think he and DDG did lots to keep those games at 0-0.

Yeah, not criticising his performances last couple of seasons but heā€™s got a touch of the inverse Ben Fosterā€™s about him. You know how so many GKs look good in a side when theyā€™re kept busy the whole time but go to shit if theyā€™re out of the game for long periods and need to suddenly switch on? Smalling is like the opposite of that, was great and reliable when he didnā€™t have much to do, completely loses his head when weā€™re under the cosh.

Interesting reception for Mourinho yesterday. I was at the Bridge the last time he ā€œreturnedā€ with the opposition, as Inter manager, and he was welcomed back like a hero, fans singing his name, players hugging him etc. Yesterday was pretty subdued and, bar Terry, nobody really went over to him. Felt almost like an exorcism, finally moving on from the guy.

Now the Jose stuff is out our the way, itā€™s been so refreshing to see us play something other than 4-2-3-1- It was getting so stale and predictable. Credit to Conte for changing it after the Arsenal game (though I do wonder why he didnā€™t go straight to it at the start of the season- itā€™s clearly his preferred formation).

Matic is starting to look like an actual footballer again, Luiz has been good since he returned (whatever Neville says) and Azpi looks well suited to CB. On paper, really wouldnā€™t expect much of a team with Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso at full back, but Conte has got them working his system so well. Did the same thing with Giaccerini (sp) in the Euros.

He really obviously ā€˜lost the dressing roomā€™ last season in a way he never did first time around. Matic, Hazard and Costa especially just didnā€™t seem to give a fuck last year at all. Think the Carneiro stuff had some effect on fansā€™ perception of him too (though youā€™ll know more about that than me obvs)

He has seemed jaded since Madrid, and his ability to deal with pressure situations has been unravelling.

Dont know if itā€™s the experience there, or personal stuff (hasnā€™t his dad been very ill for a while?).

Ballon dā€™Or (or balloon door as a mate of mine pronounces it) shortlist today. Donā€™t know why they bother, everyone knows itā€™ll be either Ronnie or Messi.

did anyone see messi get a bit aggro when valencia fans chucked a botte?

also notable for both neymar and suarez diving to the floor and rolling around in agony :smiley:

Looks like Ronaldoā€™s a shoo-in for it because of Real & Portugal winning their competitions. All very silly innit, would go for either Suarez or Griezmann, fwiw

Today I am thinking of a stadium.

BUT WHICH ONE!!!

#29sawesomefootballgame

Prenton Park

1 Like

GRIFFIN PARK!

1 Like

It was Sincil Bank, sorry guys. THANKS FOR PLAYING.

cardiff city stadium

1 Like

It wasnā€™t, but Iā€™m thinking of that one NOW!!!

Best game ever.

Linekerā€™s gone too far now, he just canā€™t stop sticking up for unwanted scroungers who look really old. Sack him please.

3 Likes

Gonna start calling him Shatney