Monday Football Thread

Good stat

2 Likes

That’s an unreal stat.

1 Like

Hating football this season. Don’t like the Olympic Stadium, and the hoo-hah around it is just embarrassing. We deserve all the flak we’re getting.

Bayern supporters really not impressed by Ancelotti.

Played 18
Won 13
Drew 3
Lost 2 (both 0-1 away at Atletico and Dortmund)

Worse than Arsenal fans.

That was last season, especially following the whole ‘Hypezig’ thing from a couple of years ago.

They’ve bought their way through five leagues in just eight years, yeah. They actually have a really good young side, though. I’m quite enjoying it. For years German fans have cried for anyone but Bayern, then someone fancies taking them on and they cry about it. They’re all fucking hypocrites. The German clubs are almost all propped up by massive companies - VW, Bayer, etc. Bayern are owned by about six. Fuck 'em. C’mon the billioballers, imho.

Rumours that they’re buying MK Dons over here, nothing has ever made more sense than that happening.

1 Like

It would make perfect sense as the club already has no identity, they have no fans to complain about history and heritage and a decent ground for that level. Plus they’d only have to change two letters to RB Dons. They’d be even more hated.

But I thought they were after Charlton?

1 Like

Do people genuinely not think the pros of these kind of things outweigh the cons, looking at the bigger picture? The cost is a league in a sport has become a bit distorted, but the impacts on local employment, tourism, facilities, etc, in cases like Leipzig, City, PSG are huge. It’s a bit different for Chelsea as that’s literally run at the whim of one despot arms dealer whose holding companies saddle the huge debt.

Also, i think competition at any cost is a good thing. United would’ve won about fifteen consecutive titles had it not been for the investment at Chelsea and City. Nobody would’ve wanted that.

Caveat that i like AFC Wimbledon and sometimes read David Conn articles.

Got a hankering to play FM17 but I know I can’t

I think top-tier clubs are beginning to realise that they could be a long-term threat - not just in terms of their success, but also in terms of how their ownership could affect the rest of the league.

Big clubs have been owned by big companies in Germany before (most of the clubs were formed as works teams for huge manufacturing companies), but Red Bull have also done away with the membership structure that a lot of the teams in the Bundesliga have, and which so many overseas football fans look to as an example of how the game could be run.

There’s ways of doing it though isn’t there, City have struck gold in the financial sense but the owners have done an incredible job of community development, the academy etc so the pros are evident if you can look at it in a non-partizan way. They’ve also done it all without infringing on the existing traditions and history of the club (getting rid of that bollocks eagle crest for example) which is where the pros ordinarily slip into cons from a wider-football-world point of view.

Chelsea is a bit different as it’s so clearly just the plaything of a fucking mega-bastard, the payoff of that for the wider-footballing world is that it literally just doesn’t matter when they achieve anything, absolutely nobody cares.

The Red Bull thing is worrying for a number of issues though, firstly I think multiple club ownership is shady as hell and I feel like it’s definitely something that will end up being outlawed eventually (as with 3rd party ownership of players) but to “rebrand” an existing club (and I’m talking here if they end up at Swindon or Charlton) leaves a horrible taste in the mouth really doesn’t it.

1 Like

Yes you can!

Had a touch of Aspas about it

I think the 50+1 rule is pretty idealistic and there are arguments that long-term it distorts competition, both between clubs and other leagues. It’s a nice idea in theory, but i expect it will be scrapped sooner rather than later once the true impact of the new Premier League TV deals ram home.

Leipzig haven’t done away with it as such, just made it financially difficult for people to afford it. Me or you could become a shareholder if we felt like it, but we’d need a few hundred euros per season each and we’d never stand a realistic chance of getting anywhere near 50+1 as Red Bull have over 10,000 employees.

…do people care when other people’s teams achieve things, then?

I was pleased for Leicester last season, but cant remember another instance?

People care when a rival wins something as a general rule I think

Oh, thought you meant in a good way. Sorry!

1 Like

I was pretty happy for City when they won the league in 2012.

1 Like

How much of that was because of the manner of it and the fact that it was against Utd though? (Genuine question)