Monologue Rock? Talking songs chat

I’m a big fan of songs with singers who talk rather than sing. I think it’s partly because before the rise of podcasts and audio books, I liked listening to people telling me stories. Plus it’s a bit punk rock as it means you don’t necessarily need to sing to add vocals to your music.

However, this comment is spot on and I can’t stand a lot of the mumbling about banalities from people who think they’re Mike Skinner

One of my favourite artists in the “talking space” is The Blow who makes music that’s closer to Uffie than Arab Strap. Something about her approach that feels like it’s being read from a photocopied fanzine.

A few years ago, I started making this playlist of talking music I like. I think I must have posted about it on our Facebook or on my Twitter as there’s some stuff on there I’m not too familiar with. There’s 5 hours of songs with mostly spoken monologues.

What are some of your favourite talkie tunes? And is there an actual name for this approach / “genre” because most of it isn’t rap or spoken word.

8 Likes

Do you mean Sprechgesang?

1 Like

First two that came to mind were that and this. Both great songs obvs

Think it works much better as one song in an album with singing than as a constant thing, can get pretty boring pretty quick but works really well as a change of pace

7 Likes
7 Likes

Into this stuff so will
Listen to that playlist! :+1:

1 Like

The ending to this is good

But think generally its a pretty bad device for me

2 Likes
10 Likes

The backing music building makes this

2 Likes

@OtherwiseOutcomes

7 Likes

Dry Cleaning are one of the best things from the past few years. Love a bit of talking over music.

7 Likes
1 Like

Mark K… [POST ABANDONED]

Adore this future of the left song. Confused it wasn’t already on the playlist. Fixed.

1 Like

Bit of a mix of spoken and sung on here.

8 Likes
  • First Big Weekend of the Summer

• The entire back catalogue of The Blue Aeroplanes

3 Likes

And this classic

1 Like

I’d seen Sprechgesang mentioned before but couldn’t remember if it was a “legit” genre (are any genres, really!?)

And this of course

2 Likes

This is glorious.

11 Likes