More than 100 gay men 'sent to prison camps' in Chechnya

Very grim story here

Horrific stuff. How can this be allowed to happen?

I still can’t wrap my head around it.

been avoiding this story but gonna read it now

yeah that was as disturbing as i feared

has there been anything said at all by any western government at all? grim

95% muslim population, therefore an increasing lean towards Sharia law - over the past decade there’s been a ban on alcohol, a ban on gambling, enforcement of the wearing of headscarves, the banning of “immoral” television programs and cartoons, and polygamy is encouraged - but only for straight men.

It’s a perhaps uncomfortable truth to swallow, but Islam is the reason why.

Wow:

At the time, Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov’s spokesperson denied the claims on the grounds that no one in Chechnya is homosexual. “You cannot arrest or repress people who just don’t exist in the republic,” spokesman Alvi Karimov told Interfax.

I disagree and think it’s really problematic for you to reduce an explanation for this into an attack on islam, or rather your perceptions of islam which as @anon82218317 pointed out, are a bit off.

2 Likes

That third article is great, so bittersweet.

Five grand and the speedboat on this user’s IP address being from somewhere around the Burnley area.

12 Likes

He said 95%. I’m sure queer muslims may well disagree with him, but I also doubt that more than 5% of the muslim population (or that of any religious organisation?) would self-identify as ‘queer’.

no he didn’t.

He said the population of the country was 95% muslim, and then made ridiculous, offensive and incorrect broad brushstroke remarks about them.

Nah.

he’s just annoyed someone’s stolen his schtick

5 Likes

Can you point out what’s ridiculous, offensive or incorrect about the following statement re: Chechnya: “over the past decade there’s been a ban on alcohol, a ban on gambling,
enforcement of the wearing of headscarves, the banning of “immoral”
television programs and cartoons, and polygamy is encouraged - but only
for straight men.”

more the ‘95% muslim population, therefore…’ part.

Why the fuck am I engaging with this

It’s a fact that the population of Chechnya is 95% muslim.

It’s a fact that over the past decade there’s been a ban on alcohol, a ban on gambling, enforcement of the wearing of headscarves, the banning of “immoral” television programs and cartoons, and polygamy is encouraged - but only for straight men.

yeah I mean if you ignore all the muslim states that don’t have totalitarian regimes and all the non-muslim states that do, then that’s a pretty indisputable cause and effect link

4 Likes

That’s all well and good, but these are women living in countries which afford them the freedoms we all enjoy in the West, and who in all likelihood practice a more progressive form of Islam than those in Iraq or Syria, where a common punishment for homosexuality is defenestration.

If you’re going to defend the indefensible (defenestration of homosexuals, subjugation of women, FGM etc.) I’m not going to engage in any debate.

so you’re not talking about islam, you’re talking about particular governments.