More WFH

Same here. Would probably be OK with going in as much as 3 days a week (particularly during winter to save on heating etc) but I live a fair trek from the office, so 1-2 days suits me fine.

Yeah i’m also on the CS 3 days train. In our specific area of work it has been a surprise to people because previously our expectation and communicated arrangements around our pay and contract reform (pre covid) was that due to limited space in new regional hubs that our teams would only work 2 days from the office as our work is not one of the areas that really ‘needs’ to be done in the office.

Now, my personal view is that I do my work more effectively from an office, and that I like being in a social environment. And now that the office is less of a dead place and more people are (forcibly) being made to come in, it is actually becoming a more interesting, buzzy place again because it isn’t totally dead. So I’m happy enough to be going back to 3 days in the office each week if it isn’t a totally dead environment.

I do feel bad for people with longer commutes and childcare arrangements… but I do question why lots of people chose to make big moves away from offices based on a presumption of extended homeworking arrangements. I wouldn’t have done that personally…

Now, I still think we’ve not at all managed to nail how hybrid working ‘should’ work, because all of our teams are dispersed and although the 20 or so people in my broader work area who work in the same office as me are doing the same discipline, none of us are working on the same projects - so there’s very little actual collaboration taking place. If they want to see benefit of in-person working, they’d have to move back to having regionally located projects, which they’re totally reticent about doing, because it stops some people from getting to work on the stuff they want to work on. There are no clear answers, don’t envy anyone trying to make sense of this mess.

1 Like

It’s expected that we go into the office three days a week, but if you want to work from home more often, then I don’t think they’d object too much.

1 Like

I switched to a job where the average day’s work is always done from home, the team is spread across the country, and it’s only for specific events you’re expected to be in an office. Flipside is that office will usually be about 200 miles away. Very much worth it, has made parenting so much … easier? Idk if that is the right word.

I’m freelance but before the pandemic I’d go into an office in Switzerland for a few weeks at a time every few months. Everything went online during the pandemic and the new system worked so well that the places I was working just kept hiring us remotely as it was easier for them and for most of us. They didn’t have to find a load of freelancers desk space for a few weeks, plus there were Brexit uncertainties as a lot of us are based in the UK and the people with kids liked that they didn’t have to leave them for weeks on end. I’ve since started freelancing for another organisation as well and they are happy to have us onsite or offsite, so I’m mostly still WFHing but occasionally going to Switzerland to work for them.

I can WFH every day, should I so choose. The policy is still WFH centric. But as at least half of my working week is spent stood or wandering the coastal paths of the solent bird watching and chatting to people, it doesn’t work.

In the summer I’d do a day at the depot and 4 at home though on a flat, normal, non event week.

1 Like

Have to go to work every day, for y’know, serving the public reasons

1 Like

I know I’d just get on with it, but I cannot imagine commuting home from work, collecting a probably grumpy toddler, making her food and then doing her bedtime before she gets too grumpy to fall asleep. The whole thing is unfathomable to me. And I know plenty, probably most parents have this set up, right? I find evenings stressful enough.

4 Likes

Have to go in 3x, usually do 4 or 5

2 Likes

My aim is to go in 4 days, do pretty much everything I want do to do, chill and easy tasks at home on Friday

But usually I end up going in on Friday

when the pandemic forced everyone to wfh and work was still done to broadly the same standard… I think it was a reasonable presumption to make on the basis of the work still being done ok and office costs being saved by not returning

2 Likes

This (CS) is a very ‘by the letter’ sort of job though - and our contracts didn’t change, so you couldn’t assume that unwritten changes would be allowed to continue forever, without seeking some kind of confirmation of that. I had someone I was managing during the pandemic who chose to buy a house 70 minutes away from their office - I had a long conversation with them about the fact that our contracts had not changed at that there was no steer from the centre that contracts would be likely to change, so had they definitely considered if the 70 minute commute would be OK if they were expected to return to the office in the future?

aah right fair enough that your workplace was unlikely to change yeah

in the pando I was working for a charity so if they hadn’t downsized the head office they’d have been criticized for wasting money!

this is exactly why I put in a flexible work request to formally change my contract

someone in my team has just been granted a similar contract change, but HR have also said “that’s it, we’re not granting any more of these” which is shithousery, really, surely under flexible working requests they have to reasonably consider any more than come their way…?

7 Likes

it was a confusing time, because actually our contracts had just changed, pre pandemic, with a reduced property portfolio, and a new contract that allowed 2 days a week of homeworking for everyone. So that contract reform got somewhat muddled up with pandemic-y stuff.

In the consultancy I worked for until recently, at the start of the pandemic, it went through rapid growth and started hiring people who worked in parts of the Netherlands which are remote as it gets. They hadn’t been forceful on people returning to the office and even changed the contract to allow people to work up to four months of the year from another company if it didn’t interfere with their client work and the client were ok with it.

Then, the company started to not do so well and some people ended up on the bench. Then the redundancies happened and suddenly all those people living outside the major cities were suddenly cut off from the company.

Even if it’s contractually there, it’s still a risk moving to a more remote location. Companies will always find a way to get rid of those they want to get rid of, not necessarily for the original reason(s) they state.

Gone with other, WFH permanently and the company got rid of the office this year so that’s not changing unless I leave. On the whole a lot to like about it, and I don’t think I could go back to full time office especially since moving away from a big city would mean commuting (always lived in close walking distance) and I like the freedom to work how I want rather than office expectations.

Avoided choosing very happy option as our company doesn’t offer meetup or co-working space budget and sometimes it can get quite isolating spending so much time in the same space. I’ve certainly noticed a difference in my wellbeing and productivity when I’ve made the effort to go to a co-working space either by myself or to meet a friend.

1 Like

To be fair, even the two days are clearly set out as not being a ‘contractual right’.

(I’m pretty sure we’re talking about the same dept here)

yeah I think you’re right - i had forgotten that the two days aren’t even set out as a contractual right and were just a guideline. I’m fortunate in being 10 minutes away from the office with no desire to move any further away - so office, home, whatever, makes little difference for me.

What did grate was the amount of people on a London weighting pay who then moved far far away from London, have not returned to office and would still like to keep the pay bonus…

I don’t miss going into an office one bit. I never enjoyed it when I did it, and the best times I had were where none of my colleagues were there and I could get on with my shit in peace. Fair enough for you if you benefit from it, mentally or professionally speaking, but absolutely fuck spending three hours of my day 5 times a week commuting so I can spend hours every day talking about bullshit to people I will never talk to again outside of a professional setting.

When I was teaching, the job became infinitely easier to do from home, too. If I ever feel like I really want to be around colleagues more, I’ll just get a job in the pub or the market or something.

14 Likes