More WFH

Well some general points:

London’s Travelcards are the result of agreement between Transport for London and the Train Operating Companies. There’s legal stuff and revenue haggling to be done in order to change anything there and nobody should assume the train companies are itching to start giving bargains to anyone.

Even more than ever, fares revenue is the principal income stream for TfL. Before the pandemic there was no subsidy for operations at all, now they’re stuck with a huge debt to the government which will be milking every penny of that money for what they can get. It’d be foolish to expect any massive generous giveaways on London fares any time soon.

And finally, historically the passengers who have had the best discounted travel in London have been annual Travelcard holders, who pay for 40 weeks of travel every 52 weeks. And as a group they are obviously the wealthiest people travelling on the network. The least wealthy, those whose work is so precarious that even before the pandemic they couldn’t be sure of getting value from a weekly Travelcard or Bus Pass, pay straight up pay as you go fares, the most expensive fares per journey. So it’s not like the current fares set up is exactly progressive.

1 Like

RE your last paragraph, I really do think that the hopper fare Kahn introduced for buses was one of the best political decisions for londoners in the time I’ve lived here (14 years)

1 Like

In a Zoom training session for coaching. One of the participants is smoking a fag. Inspirational.

15 Likes

I am absolutely revelling in vaping my way unapologetically through every meeting I’m having lately.

Also, of course I am old enough to have actually experienced smoking in meetings as a normal thing, so it’s kind of a nostalgia thing too.

2 Likes

Now it’s warm enough to have to have the window open I’m learning about the vast array of different car and house alarms that exist in hearing distance of my house.

Our old head of marketing used to do that on Zoom calls. Smoking indoors seems mad now. I used to be transfixed by it. Reminded me of being a kid in the 80s.

Missed out on that - we had the much healthier smoking rooms. :evergreen_tree:

1 Like

In all honesty even my experience was mostly as a result of me having quite a lot of meetings in France and Belgium, where people routinely had ashtrays on their desks. Ah yes, smoking rooms, what a delight they were…

Not that it’ll affect me until late next year as I’m going on maternity leave on September the 1st, but my organisation have said we’ll be expected in two days a week from September the 6th.

My first proper job was 1999 - and my boss did smoke at his desk even though he wasn’t meant to. Even back then it felt a little unacceptable but we just… accepted it. So weird.

1 Like

I remember smoking at my desk during work experience in Year 10, so 1998 ish? Set fire to a waste paper basket. Not my finest hour. My first teaching job we had a smoking room (basically a cupboard) off the staff room. One of the female PE teachers practically lived in there between lessons. Seems unimaginable now - that was only in 2005.

1 Like

Amazing. Great days, 'til the Health and Safety brigade ruined it for everyone!

Probably for the best, the work experience was at a printing firm, I could have burned the place down!

Stupid thing is the one downside of WFH for me is I’ve started smoking again. Nobody at work smokes so I wouldn’t bother popping out for one if I was in the office.

1 Like

It’s literally woke gone mad :grimacing:

1 Like

congrats!

I assume you’d mentioned this before elsewhere and I just didn’t read it!

I did my work experience in 2004. I did a 5 day residential music course with the army. So the full works, getting shouted at in the mornings and stuff, did a night of camping in the woods etc. Bit different to most of my mates who just sat in offices all day making tea and feeling bored. The second week I was working in the music shop in Winchester and the owner used to chain-smoke in the room downstairs, even when I was sat there at lunchtime. I remember thinking it was a bit wrong but I also figured that it was just a part of adult life. Weird to think it was only 3 years later that we couldn’t even smoke in pubs

Interesting people experienced people smoking in the office. My first office job was in 1992 and even then people went outside to smoke.

My dad was a plasterer and I worked with him at various times during the 90s. He was puffing away all day which I didn’t think was weird even though it was technically inside it wasn’t really, because the houses hadn’t been finished yet. I suppose even that is not allowed now though

Not sure I quite understand what Labour are arguing here? Natural instinct is obviously that Tories won’t do the thing that benefits workers but…

“According to reports, the government is considering proposals that would potentially see the law changed so that employers would have to prove it is essential before being able to insist employees attend the workplace.”

“As we emerge from this crisis, we cannot have one-sided flexibility that allows employers to dictate terms to their workers when it comes to flexible working arrangements.”

1 Like

I don’t really understand the angle Labour are going for here, either.

Anyway, the government’s spokesperson has said this

All these laws about employees’ “rights to request” things are just such empty bullshit. I don’t need a law to entitle me to request that Boris Johnson be dunked head first in a bucket of sewage, I can do it by myself, but mysteriously it is still yet to come to pass.

6 Likes

Top tip - Put some black tape over your camera.