Morrisons "Quiet Hour"

Last time I was in Morrisons they were playing Anja Garbarek and a Goldfrapp b-side. I assume they let the coolest employee deal with the music.

4 Likes

I went in an M&S food hall before. The aisles were all double width, the shelves were all low, there was no music on and no tannoy announcements, and surprise surprise, everyone was pretty chilled out and cheery.

I guess in cold hard business terms some of those things might impact on revenue, but in lots of instances there sould be a middle ground - turn the music down a bit, use radios instead of a tannoy, as i mentioned above have cross aisles and stuff.

3 Likes

Oh definitely, there is a middle ground that I don’t think would be hard to reach. For example, the checkout noises - unless the cashier is hard of hearing then is there any reason why you need it to be so loud? I don’t know why places need to play music, but a lot could certainly do with turning it down.

One thing that gets to me is you can usually turn the beeps down on self checkouts, but then the spoken instructions still tend to be really loud and I can’t see another way to turn them down.

Also, if Sainbury’s in Winchester could open AT ANY FUCKING POINT on a Sunday morning it would be appreciated.

when i worked at asda it seemed to be totally random whether the noises were loud or quiet, there has to be a way of adjusting the volume but they never told me or i would have turned it right down

Same on self checkouts. Sometimes a sensible beep, sometimes a fire alarm

Which supermarkets even play music? Pretty sure neither of the two i go in do. They don’t seem to do many tannoy announcements either.

1 Like

My local Co-op always seems to have Motown, Beach Boys and similar easy on the ear 1960s-70s pop msuic on the go.

there’s so much to supermarket layout/design

i mean we all know that the chocolate bars are next to checkouts so they get picked up while people are waiting but i bet those in the know are aware that it goes waaaaaaaay deeper than that

If you tend to shop in the same shop a lot it might be worth letting the manager there know that you find the volume too loud (or emailing customer service and asking them to pass on the feedback). I can only speak for one retailer for certain, but the volume may be adjustable either by the shop themselves or if they request it centrally. They won’t necessarily change it because they’ll need to balance your needs with other customers’, but it’s worth telling them in case you’re not the only person to have mentioned it

1 Like

Mates they want you to buy stuff that’s eye level so look above/below that

It’s true. Best deals on magazines are always on the top shelves.

3 Likes

They have their own “radio station” a la Superdrug, HSBC etc. Bloody annoying if you’ve worked there.

That was Gregory Porter NOW WHAT ABOUT THIS GREAT OFFER ON BEEF BURGERS.

I have an irrational hatred of the bloke who presented the “late evening” slot as a result.

I still remember when we didn’t realise the 24 hour Tesco shut at midnight on Saturdays. The staff looking increasingly annoyed as we were walking around after 12 picking up doughnuts and stuff

1 Like
1 Like