Mosh Pits

was that the Leeds one? Remember they had to stop the performance several times because there was such a bad crush.

I once passed out in a mosh pit at a Jesus Lizard gig. Remarkably I didn’t lose my glasses.

4 Likes

Just don’t have the aerobic fitness for em any more, do love a small go in one though. Been to too many gigs where the perimeter wasn’t strong enough to support the craic and the venue becomes a choppy sea of falling over.

Had a scary moment when I was 17 when a lad got me by the throat in one, his mates had to drag him away. Think the gig was Scroobius Pip

Mosh pits: just a band

9 Likes

I’m caught in a mosh…i can’t walk out…because there are too many sweaty blokes babyyyyyyyyyyyyy

2 Likes

my moshing days are over and I don’t go to many gigs these days where moshing happens. let the kids have there fun I say. so long as they can keep it to themselves it isn’t too hard to keep out of the way. people who repeatedly crowd surf can fuck the fuck off though. you maybe get to do it ONCE safely and within reason.

Never liked them. Remember the Trail of Dead and At The Drive In gigs on Friday and Saturday at The Astoria around 2000. They were pretty vicious for an indie bed wetter like me.

I don’t think we have quite the same outrageous mosh pits as I have seen in footage from the US. From a constant stream of stagedivers often outnumbering the band:

to the wide circles of people doing kung-fu kicks:

Maybe our venues are too crowded or I am going to see the wrong bands idk

(Massive safety wink) You probably deserved it for being in a pit at Scroobius Pip gig to be fair…

Used to love a pit in my teens/early 20s, far too old/grumpy/unfit for that shit now. Nothing more irritating than the one guy who will just not take the hint that nobody else is up for it. Have been in a Wall of Death (Lamb of God) and a Wall of Hugs. Agree with @megalithicrock that a bit of chaos at the right gig is a wonderfully cathartic, communal experience that’s hard to find elsewhere (I too have been on the receiving end of Damian’s attentions). One of my favourites was the gig Dillinger Escape Plan played at the Barfly - think my head nods in and out of this video a few times:

There is also nothing more frustrating than being unable to participate in a mosh pit due to being stuck at the back or with someone who isn’t up for it! Somehow ended up with tickets to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs from the standing area at the very far back of the Shepherds Bush Empire, and had to watch all the folks down the front having a whale of a time all night.

1 Like

Will still get involved at the right gig, even at my advanced age (had great fun at Idles at Electric Ballroom last year pretty much from note one). That said, still think they should mostly be relatively benign affairs - bit of pogoing is fine while looking out for your fellow giggoers, but flinging your arms/elbows around and/or knocking people over is a cunt’s trick.

Have completely knocked crowd surfing on the head (arf)…

2 Likes

Yup. My first festival and I only really had one gig under my belt at that point too. :-/

oof

In terms of injuries, the biggest problem I get is toe destruction. Between gigging and football my big toenails have been in a permanent cycle of going black, falling off and slowly regrowing for the last 20 years. The worst was wearing cheap wellies down the front for QOTSA at Reading in 2004, they offered absolutely zero toe protection. I now have some trainers with steel toe-caps, which make a big difference.

I was at the Leeds V97 for The Prodigy - intense stuff.

That said, my first festival was Reading '92 which also featured possibly the worst weather of any festival I’ve attended to date. When Nirvana closed the Sunday evening, the ground down the front was such a quagmire that if one person went down in the moshpit they took about 20 people down with them. Fun…

And no pushing people in when they are standing at the edge and clearly trying to retreat from it

5 Likes

Love big sweaty crowds having a big sweaty party, actual mosh pits not so much these days.

Always used to enjoy mosh pits for unexpected bands. James and the Chalatans in particular at festivals have had some fucking mental crowds (long time ago mind.) suede’s crowds are still bonkers as well.

Worst one was probably Korn (15 years ago maybe?) Wall of death, mate passed out, the works. Fucking great fun but I thought I was going to die.

Used to, but don’t bother anymore, would rather stand near the back/midway. Cannot afford to spill a drop of my precious £8 pint. I remember being on the outskirts of a pit for the Bronx and Heart Attack American kicked in - the next moment I was on my back trying desperately to get up. :grimacing: It is very rare I will even entertain the notion of a mosh now, think the last time was Funeral for a Friend at the Dingwalls for Camden Rocks. I was several pints in and very, very hyper.

Find people/gigs like this hilarious though, a bunch of windmill-flailing wankers. As much as I enjoy the hardcore punk scene, it’s fanbase are dickheads.

Abso-fucking-lutely. Hate crowdsurfers so much and stage diving twats. Every time I’ve seen a John Reis band and people try and stage dive he gets very angry :smiley:

Posh mit

2 Likes

Still love a mosh pit that’s jumping about with a bit of push and shove. Hardcore gigs where people are just being fuckers and hurting others can fuck of. Tiny dick bullshit.

5 Likes