Mother! film (*Possible spoilers*)

“But it’s an allegory, it’s not literal” is how it gets greenlit I guess, it is absolutely insane that one of the big five studios chucked a lot of money at it though.

I think all the performances actually work pretty well considering they’re not actually playing people, JLaw was good IMO.

1 Like

I bet it’s ok. I’ll watch it, think “that was deece and I understood all of it”, then I’ll do something else. Fine.

1 Like

Yeah certainly has the potential to be. But at the same time you don’t want to persuade someone out of what seems to be a rather unique cinematic experience. It’s an odd one in this case because my wife makes a deliberate point of reading as little about a film as possible before seeing it, but I think in this case she needs to know a bit extra before doing so. Thanks for your thoughts!

1 Like

It is a harrowing moment but in the context of how everything has descended into chaos it’s not a surprise. I can see (and did in the screening I was at) why it would’ve been a trigger though

Yeah ok this was pretty much my reaction

From the film thread:

Things can descend into chaos without something as graphic as that being shown.
It’s harrowing in and out of context. It’s not a scene I wanted to imagine or see in my life.

This looks bad, I don’t like Aranofsky so I won’t be seeing it. It’s also really annoying how Jennifer Lawrence keeps playing roles about 10-15 years too old for her. And it creeps me out that she’s now in a relationship with Aranofsky.

Sure but the film wasn’t made for anyone other than Aronovsky

Nah it’s clear in the film that she is young

I was thinking for most of the film that she must be a ghost because she just seems dead.

In a world where the technology exists for us to be able to watch Jurassic Park anywhere, at any time, there’s no real need to ever go and watch anything else ever again.

2 Likes

OK - but I don’t believe she would be married to someone as ugly/old as Javier Bardem in reality.

Penelope Cruz is married to Javier Bardem

It’s not reality… also he’s quite ruggedly handsome no?

1 Like

Javier Bardem is only ugly because he plays scary/weird characters.
I bet he’s well fit IRL.

Also you’d have to see the film to realize why this does not factor in.

1 Like

Well you were kind of right!

I feel a lot better having read the explanation. Phew. It’s been niggling at me since last Friday.

It’s basically this monty phython sketch

Javier Bardem… old and ugly!? WHAT? He’s a very handsome man! … and not old… madness :smiley:

2 Likes