Fucking mould. Absolute bastard.

Our house is quite bad for getting mould, specifically in the bathroom. This year I can barely keep on top of scrubbing it away. It seems like I’m wiping the walls down every week. I’m guessing this is something to do with the heating being off now we’re getting into the cold weather.

We’ve tried all kinds of sprays, gels and liquids and still it comes back with a vengeance.

Fucking mould.

Anyone got any magic tips?



Always believe in your souuuuul


In all seriousness:

  • do you rent / own the property?
  • is there a working extractor fan in the bathroom?
  • are the windows double glazed, and if so, are there trickle vents?
  • are the walls solid or cavity - and are they insulated?

As @rich-t says a dehumidifier will help

We own the house. There is a ‘working’ ‘extractor’ fan but as far as I can tell, it just makes noise, it’s extremely low powered. The windows are double glazed but no vents. I guess the walls are solid as they’re outer walls… no idea if they’re insulated, I doubt it.

We have some of these things but not a proper dehumidifer

Any suggestions for a good one? And do they cost a lot to run?

Use white vinegar to treat any area where it’s recurring. A lot of people suggest bleach but vinegar is more effective in killing it.

Can’t speak highly enough of this stuff for more stubborn areas.

1 Like

Oh I’m not sure about a recommendation for a dehumidifier. But the more you can do to remove the moisture from the house before putting it through a dehumidifier, the better. A good, strong, working extractor fan will help (and shouldn’t be too expensive if the electrics are okay) - trickle vents help too but replacement double glazing is more expensive.

Outer walls normally have a cavity if the house is less than ~100 years old Cavity wall - Designing Buildings

1 Like

Get a primer-sealer called Zinsser. They do a shellac-based one (red tin) or a cheaper oil-based one (yellow tin), or if you’re on a really tight budget any oil-based undercoat will work. They’re matt finish so you can use as a top coat for ceilings, or emulsion over if on walls.

Another good option for walls with mould is to get an anti-mould additive mixed into your emulsion and repaint. We’ve used Suretherm and Wykamol and both have worked.

Use an anti-fungal spray to scrub away what you can before repainting, and leave to dry out properly, etc.

These are all medium-term fixes, like.


The orangey crap is the worst

1 Like

Meaco are the best. We have this one

Think it’s between 2-3p an hour.

1 Like

Don’t know why I never looked at them before. I assumed they’d cost in the hundreds for some reason. Have you fitted one yourself? Might watch some YouTube videos, not sure how it Al ties in with the light switch.

How do you stop the room from smelling vinegary afterwards?

I’ve never done electrics tbh. But I don’t think the job was much more than about £40 for the unit and £80 for the labour or something? (Can’t remember exactly but it wasn’t much above £100)

1 Like

I didn’t really notice it tbh. You dilute it 50/50 with water and apply it, let it soak in for a while and pat it dry with a towel and ideally have the room well ventilated. It might stink if you were doing most of the room but then if you were I think you have A Large Mould Problem that needs professional attention. I did a whole ceiling and it was fine though :man_shrugging:t2:


I havent tried this but read that putting your laundry on the airer by a radiator then putting a sheet over it to create a heat trap will help with the issue of mould due to drying laundry indoors

1 Like

It’s all about getting the moisture out. You can treat mould all you like but you’re just treating the symptom, not the cause. Dehumidifier is probably the only thing that will make a big difference.

1 Like

No idea where you live but I recall every bathroom I ever saw in Manchester wS a mould haven.

Anyway, Dulux do a Bathroom Paint that we used and it means the mould wipes off pretty easily but we don’t get much issue with it here.

Otherwise dehumidifiers are a good bet as mentioned.