Mountain Goats Rolling Thread

They played 4 songs from The Sunset Tree, but otherwise yeah it was a really varied set.

I think this was the biggest venue I’ve ever seen them in, so I’m relieved it lost none of the atmosphere/audience enthusiasm compared to smaller shows.

1 Like

The Albert Hall was packed, possibly oversold. But the singalongs for up the wolves was incredible

Weird cos antwerp was fairly empty on Monday, and they originally put in the cathedral, which holds like a quarter of the Albert Hall

2 Likes

Sharp intake of middle aged man breath when Song for Dennis Brown started.

1 Like

He did Source Decay in Antwerp on Monday and I may have got a bit emotional

1 Like

I think in 10-12 shows now I’ve still never got that one, so I’m pretty jealous!

1 Like

1 Like

Felt the urge to stick All Hail West Texas on this afternoon, reminded me that John played Jenny in his solo set in Manchester last year.

Magic stuff.

2 Likes

Looks like a new album is incoming - they’ve been selling mysterious stickers with lyric quotes at all the recent shows and they’ve just added all the graphics to their Instagram. I saw something on Reddit about a new single out tomorrow as well.

I saw them with The Hold Steady a few weeks ago in the US. They opened with This Year, John played You Were Cool (!!) solo, and Craig from THS came out and sang Palmcorder Yajna. Support slot but an all time show in some ways.

10 Likes
3 Likes

Nice they’re really cranking them out right now . Bleed Out has really grown on me to the point it’s probably one of my favorite albums of theirs.

1 Like

A month away from the Jordan Lake Sessions on vinyl too.

And it was recorded in January 2021, so given how much time they spent at home after that due to Covid, I reckon there’s a backlog of records at this point.

1 Like

New album out October 27th entitled ‘Jenny from Thebes’.

2 Likes

I’m still I’m still Jenny from The-bes

1 Like

Damn it :smiley:
Was trying to rhyme something with Thebes for ages there!

(the rocks that she heaves?)

One of the lyrics images they done mentioned a Kawasaki and it made me think of the song ‘Jenny’ From All Hail…
wonder if its a reference and if the album is more personal and dropping the ‘themes’ John’s been doing for a long time now.
(probably not)

Internet memers already beat us to it

7 Likes

Yeah so the theories since the stickers started appearing is that it almost certainly is. She turns up in another couple of songs as well, one of which turned up on streaming the other week after never being there before.

There’s a long quote on here from the AHWT podcast about the character

1 Like

Oh man.
This is gonna be great.

New song out now

2 Likes