Ms Marvel Disney+ (today 8th June)

Still can’t believe this is her first ever acting role. She’s a natural.

3 Likes

This is so great

‘Illumin-auntie’ :smiley:

2 Likes

Such an engaging program, a bunch of likeable, well written characters who have their own urgency and some really creative flair, enjoying this.

1 Like

It’s nice just to have a Marvel show with low stakes. No end of the world CGI baddies.

( That’s next week’s episode featuring Galacticus then.)

1 Like

Another fun episode. Thought the post date dancing and singing scene was terrific, and very much enjoyed the Trust A Bro van

1 Like

Thought that ep was particularly poor. Which is a shame as it seemed like they’d nailed a tone for the first two. Weightless, silly action beats and horrible writing. Hope they can pull it back.

1 Like

Dunno, I enjoyed it TBH. It’s a bit too swift to move between plot points. Watching it with my 9 year old daughter who is interested but not 100% sure and gets a bit antsy waiting for the action. Whereas I’d prefer each episode take it slower and build the layers up.

1 Like

This is still happening. She’s now navigating them with even less time to figure it all out, which will put pressure on her and further her development as a character. You can tell by the end of the episode that she’s feeling the fact she’s in way over her head.

1 Like

I’m not hugely familiar with the comics, so not sure if this all ties in, but it does seem like they were doing really well with the family dynamic stuff and the small stakes stuff, but the introduction of the baddies felt like one of the lower tier CW shows.

1 Like

Yeah no comics knowledge either.

Get the CW thing.

still really enjoying it but agree the turn came too quickly from the baddies

bruno getting hit by the chair made me laugh so much

I think the character can be rushed without the show itself feeling rushed, if that makes sense.

I recall how rarely those Netflix shows felt like they used their 12 hours but here I reckon this could have done with a longer run to really build this character up and it’s a shame they’ve only given it 6 episodes.

It could do with her having more time to build her powers before Damage Control arrive on the scene, time with Eternals-Lite pressuring her before actually going off gully maybe?

That said, it may make more sense how fast they went to antagonists as we go along.

This keeps on getting better and better, huh? Another bloody great episode

2 Likes

i tell you what, the direction and editing and special effects in this are so distractingly shitty, in the fight scenes and chase scenes it’s impossible to tell what’s going on

1 Like

Might have to stop with this one now unless the last few eps get great reviews. That last episode was really poor.

Just lots of lovely fun, isn’t it? Love how colourful it is, and like people have said the scenes with her family, friends and school are so great.

4 Likes

Episode 5 was significantly shorter (by about 10 mins of actual play time I mean, I’m going off the actual bit between ‘previously on’ and the start of the credits) and it really did seem to end suddenly.

I’m hoping Episode 6 is longer and has a chunk more stuff to wrap it all up because right now it feels a bit disjointed.

I find it hard not to love in spite of its pacing faults, partly because my daughter is enjoying watching it with me I think but mainly because they’ve managed to make really good characters played by really good actors. I mean in ep 5 you only get 20 minutes with Hasan and Aisha but you want a lot more.

1 Like

Well, it wasn’t long but it felt focused and I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Nice mid-credits scene too.

1 Like

Fuck, that was good. The hint that Kamala is a mutant rather than an Inhuman was really cool (with the X-Men cartoon sting played after Bruno saying “mutation” being a nice touch) and the post credit with Captain Marvel is very interesting!

5 Likes

As a story it was really good. But the CGI was shit. Would quite like a rest on the Marvel stuff or reduce it for a bit. Having said that what’s next is it Black Panther in November? Nope I was wrong She-Hulk is next