MTFSB - Requests

Any funny stories involving requests at gigs/clubs etc?

I used to run a garage rock/motown/girl groups night in Dalston when I was at uni, and some people turned up expecting UK garage. they enjoyed the night regardless, but I played re-rewind at the end which went down quite badly with the rest of the punters.

only ever requested one song at a gig, and that was at a lightning bolt show in…2009 or 10. they played it.

2 Likes

PLAY ONE THE DRUMMER KNOWS

4 Likes

went out to a goth night in camden and kept writing the DJ requests but the music kept getting worse and worse so i started writing request notes that moved into just calling him a wanker and probably got quite dark before the end of the night. woke up next day like :grimacing:

3 Likes

Used to go to a retro pop night in Nottingham during my fourth year of uni and every time we went my housemate would go up to the DJ booth every 15 minutes and tell him to play You Can Call Me Al until he’d relent

FREEBIRD

1 Like

last year i made a request by showing the DJ this screen

rather disappointingly they played Jumping All Over the world

2 Likes

Last time I went to Rock City on a Saturday night I requested Rival Schools and got told it was too hardcore for the main room and I should go next door to the metal room

Haven’t been back

1 Like

TBF being told you’re too hardcore and need to go to the metal room is quite a badge of honour

4 Likes

used to make our uni DJ play my recovery injection every single week for the benefit of about 5 of us and it cleared the dancefloor every time

2 Likes

THE RAT
THE RAT

4 Likes

just imagining some aggressive DJ wagging their finger at you shouting ‘TAKE THAT HARDCORE SHITE TO THE METAL ROOM, PAL’, has done me a bit.

2 Likes

obligatory.

I remember this used to come on a lot during the few dis nights I went to around 2008-10, and thought it was kings of leon.

https://www.stereogum.com/969681/bradford-cox-covers-my-sharona-for-an-hour-in-concert/video/

7 Likes

never bother requesting songs on nights out, rarely bother queuing up any songs at parties anymore either. no one will like it and i’ll just listen to it when i get home instead.

1 Like

i think about this every time i hear my sharona

1 Like

I used to badger every dj at every night I ever went to to put it on.

Je ne regrette rien.

2 Likes

DJ’d* a night at the pub I used to work at cause they were in a bind. Lad kept coming up to request the courteeners, kept telling him I want playing any indie, and if I was I wouldn’t be playing the courteeners. Eventually called him over and told him I admired his persistence, so this is my last song of the night and its for him. Dropped out of touch by Hall and oates. Dickish but I really enjoyed it

*played music through my phone on Spotify pissed cause their dj hadn’t turned up and I was willing to do it for 20 quid plus drinks

1 Like

Brazilian correspondent here: the regional equivalent of “Play Freebird!” here is “Toca Raul!”, i.e. Raul Seixas, who I’d never heard of before moving here but who apparently inspires diehard fandom.
Played a lot of open mic nights politely refusing to “Play Raul” / explaining that my name wasn’t Raul before I cottoned on…

2 Likes

is this still big there?

1 Like