MTFSB - Requests

Yeah it was probably a couple of years before I had a clue who the song was by and what it was.

1 Like

Is it that I never before knew requesting My Sharona is the new ‘play Free Bird’ or is there some specific link between that song and Bradly Cox I don’t know about?

I’m afraid so.

1 Like

At my sixth grade dance I remember requesting a whole bunch of U2 and Beatles songs (because, you know, sixth graders love dancing to “Acrobat” and “Two of Us”) and eventually I was carried away mid-request by my decidedly cooler, non-wiener-kid peers while one tore up the sheet.

Edit: not a single request of mine was played, obviously

FYI school years are completely opaque outside your own country. I think this is always more obvious with the US system because their TV and film is ubiquitous everywhere else in the English speaking world and they always make references like ‘grade school’ ‘nth grade’ and none of us have a clue what age that might be :smiley:

Oh right, sorry! I was an unpopular 11 year old in this particular story.

1 Like

Now i’ve had a few requests…but i’m going to keep on playing! But seriously folks, a couple more then we’ll do the bran tub

Was djing at my friend’s indie night in Hackney the Saturday after Michael Jackson had died. I was fed up anyway, because I asked everyone I knew to come and no one did, the place was almost completely empty so I was hella bored.

I peppered a bunch of MJ bangers in tribute: Billie Jean, Beat It, Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough etc. My songs were all classic indie dance hits even tho no one was dancing. Then this couple turned up, I guess in their 40s, and the guy approached me while I was playing Deceptacon and said “can you play You Are Not Alone by Michael Jackson?”

I said no.

4 Likes

I’ve told my Dane Bowers Smash Hits Poll Winners Party, after-party DJing story here before haven’t I?

Was once at a terrible rock club in Bristol (don’t know what it was called, was visiting some mates in Bath and they insisted on going to Bristol and going to this place - it had a stripper pole in the corner and picnic benches inside?) and if you had a request you just wrote it on a list attached to a clipboard by the DJ booth. In retrospect they probably never checked it but it meant they didn’t get hassled by drunk idiots. Smart. Anyway, the music was all a bit too heavy for my liking so I went up and wrote BRITNEY SPEARS - TOXIC on the list. Then I turned around and this woman with full on techno-goth hair braids and enormous jeans was staring at me, then looking at the piece of paper, then back at me, before she started yelling WHY WOULD YOU REQUEST THAT PUSSY SHIT?

It was a lovely evening out.

2 Likes

I think this was an evan dando gig:

TELL US A JOKE!
He tells joke.
TELL US ANOTHER ONE!

1 Like

philistine-selecta

1 Like

When the crowd say ‘booooo’

Seleeeeeeecta

1 Like

some poor soul yelled “My Sharona!” at their curated ATP festival, and basically got mauled to the ground. gotta see the funny side

please retell it anyway

2 Likes

Ok, so

I was a resident DJ at 93 feet East back at the turn of the Willenium, before I moved to Europe. The venue had been booked to host the Smah Hits Poll Winners Party after show and the management asked me to DJ the warm up set for the Main DJ attraction; Dane Bowers.

At this point I should point out that the party was not particularly glamorous; A1, Blue, Atomic Kitten (one of whom was Dane’s gal at the time) …that sort of thing. All of the Smash Hits staff were there though & they were really keen on having a proper good time.

Anyway, it being Smash Hits I brought along and played a totally 80s pop set - MJ, Prince, Five Star, Pet Shop Boys, ABC, Madonna, etc. to the obvious glee of the attendant Smash Hits writers.

After a couple of hours my set is done & it’s Dane’s turn. He gets up to the DJ booth, cranks up the volume to an excruciating level and starts train-wreck mixing the cheesiest Essex handbag 2step & garage stuff you can imagine and after about 15 minutes 3 Smash Hits writers are up in my face begging me to go back on - I am the request.

I tell them that I can’t just kick him off & in any case I played all the records I’d brought with me. They go off and come back with some older dude - I guess the editor or someone higher up at Smash Hits - who offers me £500 to go home, get some more records and carry on playing adding “Don’t worry about Dane, I’ll deal with him”

15 minutes & two cab rides later I began what turned into a 5 hour set & Dane took his Atomic Kitten & left the venue. The end.

20 Likes

when they said

you really should have said

you’re out of your mind!

but this is still a good story :grinning:

4 Likes