MTftSB Do you have a favourite lyric?

its perhaps the only song I can recite perfectly from start to finish.

2 Likes

I said a hip-hop…

Its the Gfunk era funked out with a gangster twist
if you smoke like I smoke then you’re high like every day
and if your ass is a busta 213 will reg-u-late

1 Like

The best Elliott Smith lyrics are from Kings Crossing IMO

1 Like

Same. That and Gangsta’s Paradie :cool::sunglasses:

^whitest thing ever.

(sorry)

4 Likes

Can’t physically listen to King’s Crossing anymore, too sad. Especially around Christmas. The skinny santa line makes me shudder.

It’s fucking devastating isn’t it, I’ve never been fully into him but that song absolutely kills me, can only imagine how it affects people that loved him at the time.

What gets me is when you watch documentaries about him a lot of his close friends talk about how a lot of his songs are stories about characters but you listen to King’s Crossing and it’s like, errr yeah right m9s

1 Like

:smiley: !

It’s leftover brain fart lyrics from when I was a kid!

pretty sure me and friends used to sing that drunk at age 18/19 thinking we were very ironic and cool :slight_smile:

to be honest Elliott’s lyrics are pretty shit most of the time, make me cringe for a different reason.

I mean his melodies and phrasing was very beautiful but his lyrics are well sixth form angst

The world’s got me dizzy again, you think after 22 years I’d be used to the spin

I fall out of the car, like a hostage from a plane

Nothing says “I miss you” like war poetry carved in your door with a stanley knife

Yeah you’ve said this before and I think it’s the most wrong thing I’ve ever heard but fair do’s

4 Likes

guess it just turns out all lyrics are terrible

I think this is the case for most music tbh, they’re just a vessel for a melody nine times out of ten

could maybe make an exception for Steely Dan or Jarvis

Surely Steeley Dan are the very epitome of a band for which the vocals are an afterthought
Maybe that’s your point

Tear down our nightclubs, put up flats
Tear down our pubs and put up flats
All rows of neat new tracts
WHY’D YOU WANT TO LIVE HERE WHEN THERE’S NOTHING BUT HOUSING?

3 Likes

If God had meant for us to work, then I’m sure he would have given us jobs.

1 Like