MTftSB - Do you still hang on to the music of your youth?

For sure. Many shaped my musical tastes so I still revisit from time to time. Music has remained my favorite pastime so it’s hard not to look at the music of my youth as a part of me. I may not have any in heavy rotation, but will listen from time to time as they come to mind for whatever reason.

Still like and reference (maybe not newer material):
Nirvana, Faith No More, Skinny Puppy, Misfits, Beastie Boys, Meat Beat Manifesto, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, PJ Harvey, Fugazi, Aphex Twin, New Order, The Cure, Depeche Mode,

Less frequently revisit:
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Tool, Ministry, Smashing Pumpkins, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, UGK, Ween, Jane’s Addiction, Deftones, Suicidal Tendencies, Descendents, NOFX, Lagwagon, Pink Floyd, Black Flag, Orbital, Underworld

Never in the mood, even if I still rate some albums highly:
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, Alice In Chains, Pantera, Poison, Iron Maiden, Danzig, Primus

No:
Green Day, 311 (there are more but maybe I blocked them out and can’t remember)

Then there’s a lot of stuff that was popular in my teens, that I should have been listening to but didn’t get to until my 20s or later, that I still enjoy a lot, but obviously doesn’t count here.

I was massively into R.E.M., Daft Punk and Slayer when I was 13/14 so yeah, I’m still well into that shit. Got huge into Neil Young when I was 15 and that was it for me.

I had one album each by Sum 41 and Blink 182 and I don’t think I’ve listened to either since my first year at university and they felt nostalgic even then.

I did have a big Emerson, Lake & Palmer phase in my early teens and I would absolutely not listen to that shit now. Still well into Mahavishnu Orchestra and King Crimson though.

This post paid for by PROF$.

2 Likes

Although I got into like Hole, Weezer, Velvet Underground, Blur etc when I was 15/16 I wouldn’t consider it music of my youth. I would consider that to be Green Day, Blink 182, No Doubt, McFly, We Are Scientists - a very small selection but I’d just absolutely rinse them and listen over and over again.

I listened to Blink 182 a lot maybe a year or two years ago and reckon they and No Doubt have aged the best. I still like all of them but I very rarely listen to Green Day any more.

What I do hang into is trashy pop music from the nineties and Noughties. I love that shit! Inject it into my veins!!

Virtually nothing from before I was 15/16, which was when I started to discover music I actually liked - just the odd 60s thing I do still like even if I don’t listen very often like the Velvets, Dylan, erm…struggling past that.

First formative music generally I still like - PJ, R.E.M., Pixies, Sonic Youth etc.

The hyped albums that were just around at the time not at all because it was just generally stuff I moved on from quickly anyway. There’s the odd album or two that stuck from a whole mass of albums.

Main stuff I listened to a lot in my late teens/early 20s that I’ve lost total interest in are probably a bunch of rockier bands like Built to Spill, Dino Jr, Swell, Sugar; and then a lot of the electronic music of the time like Orbital, the Orb, Chemical brothers, Autechre, a bunch of Warp acts etc.

Think I’m ok on the balance of new discovery/appreciating what still holds up. Always a bit changeable though is t it.

Some of it. Don’t think I ever need to hear Nirvana again though, just through over-exposing myself. Makes me a bit sad tbh.

Yes, in that a lot of the artists that are still my favourites are ones I got into as a teenager and I still play a fair bit. But no, in that I reckon 75%+ of the music I listen to are new discoveries (new to me as well as new releases)

Kaiser Chiefs… no. Bob Dylan… yes. Mid 00s Scottish Folk… still down but rarely give it a spin. Might do so now

It’s weird how I enjoy this song more with every passing year.

2 Likes

It’s a work of genius to be fair.

I only listen to Feeder

1 Like

Massively into grunge when I was a teen and my related playlist from that era is still probably my most used playlist. Haven’t fallen out of love with any of it yet, doesn’t look like I ever will. I listen to plenty of new stuff but there’s something about having 25 years of history with a song that you obviously can’t replicate. Had it on a couple of weeks while cooking on a Friday night, still can’t beat yelling COMPROMISE! CONFORMITY! ASSIMILATION! SUBMISSION! IGNORANCE! HIPOCRACY! BRUTALITY! THE ELITE! while dicing an onion. My kids may disagree, but no shame.

Element of ^this for me as well. Nirvana were by far my favourite band for probably three years during my teens, but would never go out of my way to listen to them now even though their music still holds up perfectly. Think that part of it is the finality of their end - we’re not getting any new music or tours, so I’ve drawn a line under it. Contrast that with Pixies/Faith No More/Dinosaur Jr, who I will revisit every time there’s a new touring/album cycle…

Largely no, with some exceptions.

My early teenage years were all about InMe, Incubus, Crackout, Kerbdog, Sum 41 and local bands, alongside Eminem and Slipknot.

Round about 15 I started getting into Weezer, then Radiohead, Manics, Jeff Buckley.

All four make me sad if I listen to them now, for aforementioned nostalgia/memories reasons. I once had Last Goodbye on repeat and it physically hurts to listen to it now.

All this said, if a song turns up on a playlist or whatever I’ll let it play.

2 Likes