2 Likes

This one makes my heart hurt

6 Likes

Oh god, it makes me weep!

1 Like
6 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve said it before, but “And I need you more than I want you / And I want you for all time” is one of the – if not the – the song lyrics ever.

3 Likes

I always wondered whether The Bones of You (the song on the radio takes him back “And I’m five years ago / And three thousand miles away”) nods back to this.

1 Like

It absolutely is.

I mean, it’s no “Hey there, Delilah / What’s it like in New York city? / I’m a thousand miles away / But, girl, tonight you look so pretty”

But then, what is?

2 Likes

C’mon feet, start moving, you gotta get me there.
(Yeah, I know 25 miles isn’t very far but he’s been walking for three days already. Tamworth’s best-known Edwin must be knackered.)

(The next song that YouTube plays is, fittingly, Love Is My Destination.)

2 Likes

Agreed. I wrote an ode to that song when he died and just became obsessed with that line more than ever.

1 Like

Thread has made me listen to some old Richard Hawley tracks which, although not specifically ‘long-distance love’ songs, I would class as yearning/mournful. A couple of belters from Truelove’s Gutter and the title track of Cole’s Corner which, for me, is one of the greatest songs this century.

2 Likes

That sounds interesting. What did you say about the song?

I just did like a pastiche of it I think and then wrote about the UK equivalent of a linesmen in an utterly unromantic way

1 Like

One of my favourite REM tracks of all time. It’s so, so beautiful.

1 Like