MTftSB: most unlikely / embarrassing gig you've been to

They seem to be always playing in Brighton (Concorde 2 or Komedia I think), got a Facebook ad the other day

1 Like

a while back i saw Gentleman’s Dub Club at Fabric on Friday night and then emo band Meet Me In St Louis at Tuffnell Park Dome the day after. be surprised if anyone else had the same gig lineup as me that weekend

^this is superb

when we were 15/16 my mate vey excitedly told us that he’d won tickets to a gig and that was cool as we didn’t get to go to gigs as we lived in the countryside. a while later found out he’d finally been to this really cool gig… it was Blue the boyband. at that age it was just about the least cool thing he could’ve done

i saw vengaboys in 2014 at ministry of sound with my mate, she’d posted on facebook saying she wanted to go and she was probably not being entirely serious but i just got the tickets as figured it would a fun anecdote. it was a student end of year party thing so i almost didn’t get in as i didn’t have student ID.

obviously they didn’t actually sing they just came out and danced. afterwards we went to my house and listened to a load of opera music as that’s what she does for a job. lovely contrast of highbrow and lowbrow culture

in terms of unlikely gigs, when i was at college we got taken to a big tech show kind thing in an arena in Birmingham. so there was stands from music tech manufacturers, demos of instruments and software etc. there was also a stage, and one of the bands who played was Sikth who are obviously completely batshit heavy metal.

it was quite the sight to see a circle pit, wall of death etc. where 95% of the audience was kids in school uniform with their rucksacks on, all smashing the shit out of each other. i caused my mates to cry with laughter because while that was going on, they turned around to see that i was stood at the back solemnly eating a banana.

a few years later i was working in the same call centre as the drummer from Sikth (must’ve mentioned this on here loads) and despite having played hundreds of gigs, he did specifically remember that one because the audience was so different to the normal metal crowd in band tshirts etc.

3 Likes

I saw this but at Sailors in Newquay and about 5 years ago. still at it.

More than Tim Robbins

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/culture/music/review-summertyne-rogues-gallery-sage-4502373

“Tim Robbins, Suzanne Vega, Beth Orton, former Squeeze boy Chris Difford, Robyn Hitchcock, Gavin Frida”

Should probably go home, if they’ve not done the encore yet they probably aren’t going to bother.

1 Like

at least they’re consistent…seems they’re playing Walkabouts in Plymouth and Newquay later this month!

1 Like

I remember Robyn Hitchcock being there, but that didn’t strike me as unlikely. Don’t remember any of the other guests or that it was only half full, but I was really quite drunk

Just remembered that I played a gig supporting Shane from Boyzone’s short lived rap metal reinvention Redhill. Extremely unlikely, very funny.

8 Likes

Was his band called Redhill?

It was.

Oh wow, I thought that you’d made a typo and that you’d seen him in Redhill (the Surrey commuter town)

One for the unlikely pile. Saw The Levellers in the big car park in the little town in rural Devon where I come from when I was about 15. They played a free show as part of the town music festival cause the organiser knew one of them. He was also my football coach and he brought them along to training the day before. I reckon there were at least 5000 people stood in that car park. For The Levellers. Shows how much else ever happened around these parts. A couple of years ago they played the venue next door to my pub in Bath and they came in after and we had a lovely chat about it all.

1 Like

God bless you Internet.

1 Like

scenes

Really hope this ^ is on Youtube!

Edit: Just caught up with thread :heart_eyes:

NICKELBACK

I win, shut this thread down.

(I haven’t read the rest of the thread, apologies for the over confidence)

2 Likes

I also said Nickelback!

1 Like

What year?

2002 at the Astoria!

The lighthouse family are playing a show near me quite soon

The highest priced ticket option is £90

:see_no_evil: