MTftSB: Nu Metal is back!

Interesting. That wasn’t even remotely on my radar at the time. You’d have thought it would have got equal billing in something like Kerrang! though.

As if that Darke Complex track isn’t a fucking BANGER?!

1 Like

My cousin was really into nu-metal at the time. I did try and encourage him to listen to ATDI, but they wore too tight trousers and their t-shirt sleeves were too short, apparently.

I’m pretty sure it was in Kerrang!, I’m not sure how else I’d have heard it. In fact I’m pretty sure that I had a Kerrang! CD with Cosmonaut on it, and One-Armed Scissor was all over MTV2.

I mean I love to point and LOL at the Nu-Metal lovers generally but couldn’t that basically be applied to Britpop Indie stuff too?

Surely the main thing is that as a dim teenager you aren’t aware that it isn’t new (because everything is new), you aren’t aware that it isn’t interesting (because you’re an idiot), and wearing hoodies and studded wristbands was quite rebellious enough for me, thank you. And I couldn’t have cared less about its politics, if I’d even fathomed that it had politics.

2 Likes

At the end, maybe, but I don’t think that you could accuse the likes of Suede, Pulp or Elastica of that.

I meant more in terms of how it liked to claim its lineage came through the likes of Nirvana and Public Enemy. Nu-metal was a clear step back in political engagement and awareness.

:smiley:

3 characters

Mate, have you heard Break Stuff? Why the fuck would you give a shit about any of that boring bollocks when you’re a teen hearing a thing like Break Stuff!?

6 Likes

I also walked around my up-itself-school looking scruffy, that stuck it to them!

1 Like

I remember when my mates took the piss out of my studded wrist band because “it just wasn’t my thing”. BUT WHAT IS MY THING?! WHY WILL NO ONE TELL ME?! WHO AM I?!

1 Like

you aren’t aware that it isn’t new (because everything is new)

Yeah, but nu-metal and nu-metal fans were probably the first generation to come to music in the age of the internet and file-sharing, so really, there’s no excuse…

Surely it already does. It’s as old as music from the early 80s was when people were listening to Nu Metal.

Please see the above post about the Sunday night bathtime slot on Radio 2 with an ageing Zane Lowe

I suppose there was a hint in the name nu-metal that it wasn’t all that original

No actual 14-year-old was, or is, interested in dredging up old Sun Ra b-sides. The whole point of a scene is that it’s current and communal and you can fit into it.

Ah yeah. For some reason that didn’t show when I clicked to read the subthread

1 Like

Oh, obviously, but even if they were too young for the dance music/club culture, there was the emo/hardcore scene, which seemed much better to me at the time.

I think there was a lot of overlap between nu metal and emo/hardcore though, even if that would be argued over back in the day. In the same way, nu metal and pop-punk co-existed very happily.

At least pop-punk was fun.