MTFTSB: Top 5 Christmas songs (Christmas music positivity only)

You know what lads, A Spaceman Came Travelling is the most underrated Christmas song, it’s very pleasing on the ear in its understated but still dramatic way. A lot of people are too proud/image conscious to admit that Mistletoe and Wine is very enjoyable as well. I have no shame though, come on Cliff Richard let’s get sickening!

I’ve worked retail over Christmas and endured the Christmas playlist for 2 months solid, know what I’m talking about.

My list is pretty basic, I’m a gal of simple tastes.

• Fairytale of New York - Pogues ft Kirsty Maccoll something a bit different innit
  • Do They Know It’s Christmas? - Band Aid Absolute definition of problematic fave, but it really does bang
  • Stop the Cavalry - Jona Lewie This definitely got me through my retail Christmas, gotta love how bombastic it is!
  • All I Want For Christmas Is You - Mariah Carey jaunty multi-octaved perfection, the last really great Xmas song
  • A Spaceman Came Travelling - Chris de Burgh la la la la la la la la la la! (Etc)

Is Stay Another Day a Christmas song? (It’s #6 on my list I think)
Does Gaudete by Steeleye Span knock your socks off? (Yes but it’s not top 10)
Has there been a good mainstream Christmas song since Don’t Let The Bells End by The Darkness in the early noughties? (#7)

Let’s talk… but only if you’re alpha enough to admit Christmas music is broadly enjoyable!!

3 Likes

No Pogues, although it’s very good, 6 Christmasses running an Irish bar will kill it forever for anyone.
Honourable mentions to Half Man Half Biscuit, The Long Blondes and Sleigh Ride by The Ronettes.

4 Likes

I hope this thread fares better than the big vote one I tried to start last year and had deleted after an hour because of hilarious banter-lovers and their jokes.

5 Likes
1 Like

Outside challenger.

2 Likes

Hon. mention: “Christmas Wrapping” and “The Boys Are Back in Town”

9 Likes

I FUCKING FORGOT CHRISTMAS IN FUCKING HOLLIS

2 Likes

I love Christmas songs and it’s hard to narrow it down to 5 but here goes

The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On an Open Fire) - Nat King Cole reminds me of having a cold beer in front of the fire and the Christmas tree while my niblings are complaining about something and it’s not my problem so I can enjoy my beer, plus I like how he says “tiny tots”
Stop the Cavalry - Jona Lewie anti-war banger with a brass section
Wonderful Christmastime - Macca jaunty, ahead of its time, the moon is right, makes me think of the Adebisi Shank version
Don’t Let The Bells End - The Darkness the right blend of cheese, camp and semi-serious songwriting that makes a Christmas song fit for the canon
Last Christmas - Wham George is a babe, “I’ll give it to someone special” is too good and too salty a line for your average Christmas song, and whenever it gets to that part I can’t help but say “Merry Christmas!” in the style of JB from JLS

Honourable mention goes to New Year by Sugababes

8 Likes

I think the softbois are all too scared to fuck with my Chadmas thread, and threatened by my correct opinions.

2 Likes

Yes come through DF!! did not have you down as a Cliff man but I’m delighted to be proven wrong.

1 Like

This is good too

1 Like

Underneath The Tree by Kelly Clarkson

5 Likes

Another honourable mention to two newer members of the canon, Kelly Clarkson and Leona Lewis.

4 Likes

Oh yes! Wired For Sound is an all-timer!

1 Like

Yes mates

1. Mariah and All I want

2. Feliz Navidad

3…Winter Wonderland…Darlene Love

2…One more sleep Leona Lewis

1…Christmas (baby please come home) Darlene Love

Honourable mention for a recent banger:

2 Likes

Enjoying the all over her shop formatting on this

5 Likes

In no particular order apart from Christmas is Cancelled is definitely my favourite Chirstmas song prefer melancholy at this time of year don’t really go for joy until the 1st Friday in January.

Also bonus the Yeah Yeah Yeahs one is pretty fun.

6 Likes

'TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY AND JOYOUS

4 Likes

No

Tis the season to save the pennies and help your local public house in January by drinking em dry of Tiger Rut

1 Like

This is the only christmas song I want to hear this year

8 Likes