MTFTSB: What classic Christmas song have you NOT heard yet this year

Yeah that’s a good shout.

How long does it take to get into the Canon though? I reckon it’s a decade at least which means you can only really retrospectively judge the noughties right now.

Heard Fairytale in the Coop about… four weeks ago?

Heard Mariah twice at Tynemouth Marker at the weekend.

Heard quite a few (Wonderful Christmastime, Band Aid) through the shared wall when the neighbours were having a party on Sunday afternoon.

Haven’t heard Slade, Wizzard, Christmas Wrapping yet although I’m off work from tomorrow and my partner is still working Monday / Tuesday and has warned me she’ll be playing “nonstop Christmas bangers”.

Have been playing the Low and Charlie Brown Christmas albums a lot this week.

When did leona lewis’ one come out. Thays a good canon addition

2 Likes

Leona Lewis has a Christmas Song? I mean, of course she has, but I’m obviously so out of touch I wouldn’t know it if I heard it

I’ll tell you what I don’t like - People playing Michael Buble versions of Christmas songs instead of the originals and thinking that’s OK. Stop it. Stop it right now.

1 Like

agreed, let’s stick to the definitive versions only:

1 Like
3 Likes

I’m all for some covers but his are just so anodyne

Still not heard either Last Christmas or Mariah (fucking) Carey.
Must’ve been a good boy this year

1 Like

U wot mate both are cast iron bangers

3 Likes

Only one I’ve heard is the Ed Sheeran one.

Unless I’m subconsciously blocking them out.

Interesting that my 7 year old is already canonising the Christmas classics (Wham, Mariah, Wizard, etc.) even though generally she’s not got a lot of time for stuff without a modern pop production sheen.

Haven’t knowingly heard any so far this year.

Nearly listened to Christmas Wrapping while I was wrapping presents yesterday but I stayed strong. It is the best Christmas song though.

Fairytale of New York is on in the pub in Liverpool RIGHT NOW

Not sure Wham and Wizzard count as modern, unless you’re using chamber music as your standard.

Have been having classic FM on for the dog, so have heard Troika about 5 times a day so far this month.

The only ones I’ve heard have been on adverts. Haven’t listened to the radio or anything in ages. Might have a cry to some on Christmas Day or something maybe.

That’s what I mean, she’s super young but the old stuff is still what she likes as Christmas music.

Haven’t heard this yet this Christmas, have usually played it myself about 15 times by now