MTftSB: what song, do you reckon, earns its writer enough for a comfortable* annual income (say, £35,000pa) on its own?

I do.

I asked that because licencing is a one-off payment that does require some work, in terms of negotiation, drawing up the deal etc.

Royalties you don’t really need to do anything.

They make a load of money all over the place but Mr Brightside is another example

according to a 2017 report by the British Phonographic Industry, Mr Brightside is also the most-streamed song released before 2010

That’s, like, a lot of songs.

1 Like

Christmas songs are anomalous though, because (a) there are probably only about 30-40 that get played regularly and (b) once you’re canon, that’s your income sorted for life.

I’m sure I once read that Just Like Christmas pretty-much saved Low from having to stop making music.

wowe

2 Likes

This was the song that I thought of when I saw the topic title

this one

and this one

both TV vignette-tastic

Essentially the correct answer to the OP

Lyrics to that song are Yewtree AF…

earns way more than 35k a year

1 Like

For context; Sting makes about $2000 per day ($730,000+ a year) from ‘Every Breath You Take’

1 Like

what does biggie make?

A fair portion of that will be from Puff Daddy, too.

Think Jona Lewie was a bit of an anomaly because he owned 100% of the publishing of Stop the Cavalry too, which isn’t that common

yep - 100% of the royalties from ‘I’ll be missing you’ goes to Sting

Maybe the Kate Nash one?

Not heard it for a while though so maybe people don’t listen to it anymore. I bet she got a rubbish deal out of it too.

zilch

no wonder he died

3 Likes

Bittersweet Symphony. Oh wait…

1 Like