MTftSB Which of your top 50 artists are you yet to see live?

They were really good the other night!

R.E.M.
The Beatles (although have seen McCartney solo)
Wilco (although have see Jeff Tweedy solo)
Manic Street Preachers
Gorillaz (although saw Damon Albarn’s tour where he played half a dozen Gorillaz songs)
Grandaddy
Beastie Boys
Ryan Adams
Lowgold
The Chemical Brothers
Air

of my top 50;

12/50 not seen.

Lots of artists with different projects, would have like to have seen an Alone: Rivers Cuomo solo thing, or other Kozelek projects (RHP, Desertshore, Lavelle)

Feel lucky really, but also explains why I really don’t care about going to whatever festival anymore. Seen basically everyone I care about that’s likely to tour, most several times, and the amount of new artists on the touring circuit I’m lucky to count on one hand in any given year, these days.

LCD Soundsystem were the last contemporary band I really wanted to see and they lived up to all expectations a few weeks ago. One of the best gigs i’ve ever been to.

Missing;
Tom Waits (would love to, but have resigned myself to it not happening)
Roy Orbison (dead)
John Fahey (dead)
Guided By Voices (not bothered about recent editions)
Talking Heads (not gonna happen is it)
Angelo Badalamenti (this would be pretty cool)
Eluvium (meh in a live setting. good work music though)
Big Star (the tribute thing with YLT etc was nice enough)

can’t remember the last time I listened to and don’t particularly care;
Charles Hamilton (wtf was I thinking?), The Organ, Eat Skull, Hefner (a reunion tour would be fun for nostalgic reasons I suppose),

I listened to a very sad amount of Michael Giachhino, who did the LOST soundtrack. Weirdly noticed he did a big thing in London last night.

Grandaddy will be back next year I think. They’ve another album recorded and will be releasing it. Don’t know how up for it they’ll be without Kevin though. :persevere:

1 Like

Oh yeah, one of my greatest living regrets (kinda) is not getting on a plane to London to see the Replacements at what would turn out to be one of their final gigs.

1 Like

Loads of them, sadly. I’d settle for seeing my no.1 Last.fm artist Tom Waits live but I doubt he’ll do another world tour. He’s probably earned a long retirement tbf.

I was at that
it was good

2 Likes

I forsee a future where we get a bag of cans and we listen to the Replacements all night.

1 Like

you can’t go to a carly rae jepsen gig at my age without drawing attention to yourself

I’m not sure I even like 50 artists properly, but i’ll probably never see The Blue Nile live, and that’s a shame because they’re really good.

1 Like

My last.fm is a bit fucked up and as Ruffers says “what is a top 50”? but here goes anyway

The Nation of Ulysses - Possible I guess but doubt it, Svenious doesn’t seem the type to look back
Fugazi - Similarly, I’d be surprised. I feel they’d worry they wouldn’t be able to keep 100% of control of a “reunion” without it being any more or less than a cheap trick so, mm. Would LOVE to see it though.
Pixies - I was quite late to Pixies so didn’t take chances to see them when they first got back together, now they’re kinda naff. Might happen at a festival though I guess.
Unwound - mm, there’s been some rumblings, they’re all active in one way or another, I could maybe see this one happening.
Constantines - Not sure if there’s enough desire for them to return, they’re a deeply underrated band outside of Canada at least.
Kanye - Fuck knows. Not sure I’d even want to
Meneguar - Got into them about a week after their last UK tour, and then didn’t see them at Fluff Fest. Idiot. I doubt this would happen, Jeremy Earl seems pretty content in Woods, but who knows.
Jay-Z - He doesn’t play loads anymore does he? Even so, dunno if i’d care that much
Bob Dylan - if I get the money together to see him before he shuffles off, sure, but his voice is so fucked these days.
Modest Mouse - This one is pretty ridiculous, it should and probably will at some point
Jawbreaker - well, they’re back now, a summer festival tour for next year seems likely. Can’t fucking wait.
Elliot Smith …
Kendrick - Would like to see him on his next tour I reckon, money or press tickets dependent.
The Promise Ring - they’ve played but never come over to Europe. If they do, I’d be there
Björk - She’s maybe the only “big” one left for me

With ruffprince on this but I’d love to see:

Black flag (1983ish)
A million jazz musicians
Early daft punk (not paying 100 quid to see them now)

Haven’t used last.fm for a few years but it’s still fairly representative. Seen most of my top 50 by now but:
Million Dead - unlikely, a reunion would probably be a bit embarrassing
Rival Schools - possible
Elliott Smith - RIP
PJ Harvey - probable
Bat for Lashes - probable
Pavement - possible
A Perfect Circle - not if the new song’s indicative of what they’re doing now
Jeff Buckley - RIP
Azealia Banks - maybe when she stops being a dick
My Bloody Valentine - unlikely
Weezer - seeing them next week, I only like the first two albums, hmm
Tool - possible
Bloc Party - lol no
Bonobo - possible
Neutral Milk Hotel - unlikely
Death Cab for Cutie - possible
Sunny Day Real Estate - unlikely
Frank Ocean - possible
The Cure - unlikely, too expensive last time they were nearby

Not bad for me seen 40/50

Of the ones I haven’t seen:

Kanye - Will definitely see him at some point presuming he tours again

Wale - No idea why he’s in my top 50 tbh go obsessed with his Mixtape About Nothing years ago, wouldn’t see him

Kendrick Lamar - Seeing him next year

Electric President - Seen him as Radical Face, would bloody love an Electric President show though

Outkast - Biggest regret tbh, should have just sucked it up and paid for the Bruno Mars support slot at Wireless a couple of years ago

Modest Mouse - Would see them on a Lonesome Crowded West in it’s entirety show if they ever did one

Bob Dylan - Nah

Earl Sweatshirt - Have had tickets and not attended on two separate occasions

Eminem - Nah

Elliott Smith - Yeah, that’s a no go really

1 Like

my last fm isnt really representative but probably seen less than half of them
catching up now though, gigs are so expensive and this is the first year in my life that i can actually afford to go to them semi regularly

1 Like

Before I even click on my last.fm page…usually I wish I had more interest in older artists and more music outside the typical “2000s indie” sphere…but this might be an advantage in this thread

So… won-ton’s Library | Last.fm

1. The Antlers - Actually this is potentially going to be difficult, as it’s unknown whether Pete’s hearing issues are going to prevent him from remaining in the band long term
  2. Max Richter - Probable. More likely if I tie it in with a continental trip
  3. Iron & Wine - 50/50. Wouldn’t be as excited to see him as 10 years ago, and I don’t think a tour here would get much attention. Maybe a festival slot.
  4. Hammock. Practically impossible. Do they even tour?
  5. Tim Hecker - Pretty likely, barring some huge drop off in popularity
  6. Grouper - Same as Tim Hecker
  7. Destroyer - Likely. I would go to his current tour if I had more disposable income
  8. Stars of the Lid - Well…if the next album comes out surely they’ll tour it. But that’s a big if. I’d be pretty determined to get tickets though.
  9. Mount Eerie - Pretty difficult to know what Phil’s going to do music wise but I’d like to say this is fairly likely.
  10. A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Slightly likelier than SOTL
  11. Flying Lotus - Unlikely. The guy’s a bit of an idiot so not really listening to his stuff atm tbh.
  12. The Decemberists - Not very likely. Similar to Iron & Wine, not as in to them as I was. Festivals is most likely.
  13. Olafur Arnalds - Fairly likely (especially if it counts if I see him under one of his various guises e.g. Kiasmos)
  14. Boards of Canada - Unlikely. Shame
  15. Keaton Henson - Not very likely. He gets terrible stage fright, so I’d have to catch one of his infrequent shows.
  16. Slow Meadow - Very unlikely - A bit like Hammock really…happy for this to remain headphone music.
  17. Fleet Foxes - Fairly likely - Wouldn’t rush to it though as their live reputation isn’t stellar
  18. Shearwater - Fairly likely - Would love this but haven’t heard from them in a while.
  19. Gem Club - Unlikely - Nah…this is an album I rinsed in 2011 but don’t bother with now.
  20. M83 - Unlikely - Not after having heard Junk, no thanks
  21. Moby - Very unlikely - I love Moby but no
  22. Cloud Nothings - Very likely. High on my priority list for bands to see next.
  23. Eluvium - Unlikely. Headphone music

Enjoyed that. Thanks @AQOS

I’ve done the numbers to this all wrong…but they are all the artists in my top 50 who I haven’t seen anyway

Last fm is wildly out of date but only 4 out of my top 50i haven’t seen: Kenickie, The Smiths(both impossible), Vince staples (likely) and Madonna (not arsed)

Feel bad after reading this that I saw Big Star and text my friend during it telling him it was really boring. I’m an idiot.

Bjork- we had tickets to see her at the City Hall in Sheffield and she cancelled…twice! (Cancelled rescheduled show too) Gutted. Chances of her ever playing so close to Nottingham again- zero.

New Order -good chance
David Bowie- impossible