MTFTSB: "Why are people in their 30s giving up on music?" - discuss

Its fine and natural. By your 30s you already have your favourites and nothing can compete with things you fell in love with in your teens.

Perfectly normal, perfectly fine.

8 Likes

Good discussion on this here also

I have to admit, the new music threads on the music board are my go-to source for finding new stuff these days and I absolutely love them for that. I love the fact that there are people posting there about all sorts of different genres too.

4 Likes

Why have people on the social board given up on the music board? Discuss.

30 Likes

#abolishboardborders

5 Likes

Heard Mark Riley talking about this last night, then he went back to wanging on about the Hacienda. So I think the answer is that music is still being gatekept by boring old twats like Mark Riley.

9 Likes

Can’t speak for anyone else but I now prefer to spend my earphone time listening to middle aged white men talking about the failures of Manchester United football club rather than music capable of making me feel joy, wonder and happiness.

1 Like

lol

4 Likes

Fake fans :triumph:

2 Likes

I personally am glad that I’ve given up the endless pursuit of the new but I still listen to a lot of music that’s new to me. Plus, I’ve seen the hype machine countless times so can’t get excited about something that music writers tell me is unmissable. Also, I don’t like crowds so I don’t go to gigs.

More than anything, these articles point to the extended adolescence of male music writers. I’m not saying that maintaining an interest in music is a sign of that, by the way, but whining that your friends have new interests is.

3 Likes

“Shit! Was I the kidult all along?!”

As far as I see it. music gave up on ME

2 Likes

Everyone’s different. Some people prioritise other hobbies or parts of their lifestyle to going to gigs or finding new bands they like. Also the medium changes loads - playlists over albums, videos taking over from radio, genre changes etc and its easy to feel left behind.
Also in the music board thread loads of people saying they ran out of people to go gigs with :frowning:

1 Like

Music

• Back
  • In Crisis

0 voters

1 Like

Seems like almost every band in existence has a bunch of new music ready this year after being cooped up so long.

It’s like any interest, you need to devote time and energy to it if you want to get anything out of it.

Haven’t read the article. Or the thread. Or the other thread.

1 Like

It’s almost as if capitalism expects people to work the same hours as they get older even though other things in their life put more time and financial demands on them at that point too

4 Likes

I do wonder how different my musical life would be if I hadn’t been on DiS. I’ve gone to so many emo gigs with DiSers, in addition to hearing about the bands on here.

1 Like

It’s not as fun at all going alone, for me anyway, but sometimes needs must.

4 Likes

thiss is probably a similar argument that you should have grown out of gaming, isn’t it

music isn’t the draw that it once was, for most people, and has become expendable. i mean, there is such a strong democratistaation of the listening to - easy of access, for one - and the creation of - making more “new” music available - around.

I think my friends are “guilty” of this; but i don’t think this is a crisis. gigs are knackering, and difficult, with kids.

here’s a counter question; do younger people go to the movies more as well? i’d argue yes.