MTV2core

Been thinking about how huge an impression that period of early-mid 00s British rock music made on me. Grew up glued to MTV2 and it seemed to create a scene around a bunch of great, interesting bands and records, a lot of which still stand up today. As a collective musical wave it doesn’t get enough recognition imo.

Biffy, Reuben, Million Dead, Mclusky, Oceansize, HIFH, Hundred Reasons, yourcodenameis:milo, Idlewild, Cooper Temple Clause maybe the biggest names.

But also: Kill Kenada, Serafin, People in Planes, Crackout, Jetplane Landing, Distophia etc were (and still are) excellent.

Any fans of this era on here? Any other favourite bands?

General MTV2 memories also welcome!

15 Likes

The best, always and forever

3 Likes

How I discovered ATD-I

11 Likes

Also, Seafood obviously

8 Likes

The first three videos that come to mind when I hear MTV2

1 Like

Remember this always being on there.

9 Likes

This was on there all the time, such a great song.

8 Likes

Felt like this was on every hour or so

4 Likes

Ooooh Judith as well.

3 Likes

Only know Robert Redford by them, which totally bangs. What else should I check?

Their mini album Soda Lake is :100:. Robert Redford was from their proper album which was also decent but got delayed years and years until they split up.

First Calories album (3/4s of Distophia) is also very good.

None of this is on Spotify though :frowning:

2 Likes

Ah I remember that about Calories, was quite a fan of them for a bit! Was obsessed with this for a while for some reason

Will have to give that album another go tomorrow I think

1 Like
8 Likes
9 Likes

Never had the music channels but my friend would occasionally lend me VHS tapes of stuff he’d taped off MTV2 and Kerrang

Outraged to hear they used to play Mclusky and Jarcrew, they were never on the tapes

2 Likes

same, i remember seeing it without seeing the band name and thought ‘wow this Hundred Reasons song I somehow haven’t heard is quite heavy!’ :grimacing:

2 Likes

Someone post JJ72 for me please

6 Likes

also i did this clubnight in 2013 which was basically just a Gonzo/brown couch night

12 Likes

Amazing. Would attend!

1 Like

Underrated band!!!

1 Like