Music contrasts

Multi-part question

• What is the biggest musical contrast in your collection/library (for example, I’ve got some Doris Day and Slayer)

• Name some unusual musical collaborations between contrasting artists (e.g. KLF and Tammy Wynette)

• Musical departures - i.e. An artist who has strayed far away from their usual genre (e.g. Mariah Carey’s secret ‘grunge’ album)

3 Likes

Mariah made a grunge record?!

1 Like

She does backing vocals on the debut L7 album (1988).

I liked Oasis and Blur.

1 Like

Good thread (already).

Musical departures…

1 Like

Think some of the Boris and Merzbow stuff is really good and not too abrasive at all. The Merzbow I’ve heard (which is a very small percentage of his enormous back catalogue) has generally been utterly horrible though.

1 Like

See also: Stevie Wonder and Blue.

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
  • Dimmu Borgir and Black Lace

• U Should Know Better by Robyn and Snoop Dogg has no right to be so great, it’s an absolute riot

• I’m still waiting on Boards of Canada to make a calypso album

2 Likes

I’d read she released an ‘alternative’ album under the pseudonym ‘Chick’ in the 90’s.

Bad Religion released a proper prog album (it’s rubbish)

2 Likes

She did, there’s a cover of Surrender by Cheap Trick on it

This one’s hard, but factoring in reputation maybe Tool and Sarah Mclachlan?

Wasn’t expecting to post this twice in two days, but Billy Corgan and Natalie Imbruglia.

Billy Corgan making a fantastic Americana album. This song probably best highlights the nature of the departure, even though it’s not my personal favorite on it. Not expecting people to give the album a chance, but there are a lot of GREAT songs on it.

1 Like

Probably out and out pop like A1/Selena Gomez to the black or extreme metal stuff like Anaal Nathrakh or Lifelover

• Name some unusual musical collaborations between contrasting artists (e.g. KLF and Tammy Wynette)

Pink doing an album with the guitarist from Alexisonfire is a bit odd (even though he did do City and Colour)

Heard this for the first time yesterday, and it was the first thing that came to mind for Question #2:

(It’s not great)

1 Like

I know “it’s just noise” is a very lazy criticism to level at music but it really is just noise.

1 Like

lady gaga and tony bennett was really weird

biggest musical contrast in your collection -

Still got all my old vinyl I bought as a kid so probably something like Adam & the Ants or Ultravox against the full on black metal I listen to a lot of these days, say Lamp of Murmuur or Paysage d’Hiver

Unusual musical collaborations -

The Spawn soundtrack had some odd collabs such as Henry Rollins & Goldie;