Music doc clips and rolling nerd party

This is a thread for posting cool bits of music documentaries for others to enjoy. Especially welcome are in-studio footage and musicians talking about how they got their particular sound or wrote parts. Craft or whatever. I love all this stuff.

Here’s a great 5 mins on The Band, about Garth Hudson pioneering funk clavinet, then Richie Richardson messing around with the mixing desk, then Levon Helm being generally a dude.

gimme some clips to chew on.

5 Likes

The hero of this scene, and every scene in this film is, of course, Kirk.

The villain of this scene, and every scene or recording he’s involved in is, of course, Bob Rock.

6 Likes

Can’t find it right now but, Lars Dad telling him his music is bad is really funny in that film

4 Likes

they need to eat some of that fruit basket and go for a spa day or something

1 Like

Remember seeing this recently and enjoying it – not particularly a Paul Simon fan but just loved watching him talk about writing Bridge Over Troubled Water

2 Likes

I love this, especially the bit after getting basically every session player in LA to try and fail to nail the guitar solo (starts at about 4.00, but the long discussion of the drum sound that precedes it is almost as good)

9 Likes

Came across this last night, which isn’t a documentary, but it does document something pretty interesting if you’re interested in the dubstep thing (as I am).

This is not really a clip, actually is the opposite (a raw version of something that was made to be clipped) but found watching kurt cobain talk for an extended period super interesting. It must just have been baffling to be in his position and that comes across in this I think.

1 Like

Larry Graham (Sly and the Family Stone) explaining how he invented slap bass, whilst simultaneously playing slap bass:

1 Like

I like how it still seems loose and magical as he’s explaining the influences coming together while noodling and humming. Dick Cavett isn’t much use though

1 Like

this is so great. Imagine being that cool

1 Like

similar Dan fun with some drum isolation. Includes Purdie attempting the biggest name drop list in history. I should probably just go and watch all the Classic Albums series shouldn’t I.

4 Likes

If I remember rightly there’s another bit with Chuck Rainey talking about how he managed to sneak in a little bit of slap bass despite being repeatedly told not to.

“They never knew it went down.”

1 Like

the classic album series is some of my favourite TV ever. even if i hate the album they’re always fascinating. i’ve watched that Aja one like 3 times.

more great Fagen content:

2 Likes
9 Likes

still never seen SKOM. gonna pop it on now!

1 Like

Jesus 20mins in and this is already unbearable. How is this not a parody?!

A quick one for the metal/prog heads of DiS: Guthrie Govan’s first shot, one take improv solo for Steven Wilson’s Regret #9. I have watched this far too many times.

1 Like

The internet has entirely devalued the phrase “rare footage” hasn’t it?

2 Likes