Music for summer-y weather

What sort of music do people gravitate to when the weather is like this?:

My general go-to’s:
*The Bees - Sunshine Hit Me (only play this when its sunny but its perfect on a day like today)
*Reggae (originals + cod!) - I am not an expert in the genre but Black Uhuru, early Bob and UB40 ( all of it from the early stuff to the poppiest)
*Shoegaze my favourite genre but in the sun I tend to revolve heavily around early Verve, early Mercury Rev, Slowdive and Seefeel’s Quique
*The Clientele
*Uncut territory - Buffalo Springfield, Neil Young, The Byrds, Beach Boys, Terry Reid, Karen Dalton
*Pavement
*Teenage Fanclub - grand prix and Songs from Northern Britain
*Ambienty-electronica - bits of Eno, Stars of the Lid, Ulrich Schnauss, Jon Hopkins

1 Like

Hip-hop / instrumental hip-hop / beat scene kind of stuff tends to fit really well with the smell of barbecues, I find

Was listening to Damien Jurado - Saint Bartley yesterday and seemed to fit the mood nicely, has breezy Californian feel (even though I don’t think he’s californian)

For me the ultimate summer weather music is the Afghan Whigs - especially Congregation, Up In It, and Black Love. The only thing I really miss about living in an area with more extreme temperatures is being able to wake up at 4 in the morning to still-brutally hot, humid, swampy air and going on a long drive or run with Black Love on.

Runner up is pretty much anything Josh Homme, but especially Kyuss’s Blues for the Red Sun and “A Song for the Dead”.

Everclear is another major one. Sparkle & Fade and So Much for the Afterglow are two of the all time great summer albums.

Counting Crows’ Hard Candy for the bulk of summer and then August and Everything After for the downswing.

I’m also always drawn to Hail to the Thief in the summer, probably because the day it was released I had an 100+ degree fever and it was 100+ degrees outside. That opening buzz and those opening chords are like a portal to hell.

Shpongle and their ilk

Anything garage rock-y.

David Comes To Life

surfy / jangly / lo-fi indie rock stuff

3 Likes

Name names icarus

Guided by Voices, White Fence, Sea Pinks

Upbeat mid-2000s indie - Oxford Collapse, Futureheads, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! etc. Just nice and bright, fast and catchy.

Either this of Will Smith - Summertime

1 Like

every year around about April when you get the first warm sunny day of the year I always listen to King of the Beach by Wavves. It’s like a ritual now

3 Likes

The Phantom Thread score seems to be working (surprisingly?) well

Most of Ash’s output, especially all the songs about summer

3 Likes

Jurassic 5 and Naught By Nature yeah.

3 Likes

Haven’t heard anyone mention Oxford collapse in a long time…away to stick that on now. Cyhsy a fav too

1 Like

Daydream Nation is the best for sunny walks
Pixies
Bill Calahan
De La Soul
Belle and Sebastian
Caribou (Andorra era)
Real Estate
A Tribe Called Quest
Nas
Blink 182…

Top 5 All Time Best Summer Songs.

1. “Summertime” by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (1991)
  2. “Summer in the City” by the Lovin’ Spoonful (1966)
  3. “Summertime” by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong (1957)
  4. "Summer Breeze” by Seals and Crofts (1972)
  5. “The Boys of Summer” by Don Henley (1984)

It still moves - My morning jacket has done the trick today.