Music gear thread- women and NB only (also space for people to talk about how they got put off learning guitar etc or to ask questions)

This one works with ipads and iphones M Audio Keystation Mini 32 MK3 | Midi Keyboard | GAK

This one is a little more expensive but works with bluetooth Akai LPK25 Wireless Keyboard Controller | GAK

1 Like

Android user, but this is definitely something I should look more into, especially with R starting school. I need to try be doing things rather than sleeping all day, which I could quite easily do.

1 Like

There’s def cheap fixes you could find for android with getting a midi convertor cable etc and tutorials online. I know a lot of people who use this kind of stuff in performance of ambient/noise type stuff etc.

1 Like

Feel a bit the same with cycling

Look the only acceptable use for a bike is to have a delusional fantasy that you’re in the Tour de France. It is absolutely not for going places or enjoying messing around.

1 Like

The active bit I really struggle with. Used to be very active, IOM symphony orchestra, followed by one band that played at indietracks and another band that put out a few singles. Then nothing. I sort of fell into both bands and I’m not in the scene enough to know how to get back on it. Plus I’m 33, which feels ancient in the world of gigging bands (I know I know it’s not, but gigging is hard work and I don’t know if I have the stamina any longer… Not without my old time cocktail of booze and staying up all night, which my job no longer allows for).

I can play a number of instruments at varying degrees of competence. Violin, piano, drums, guitar mainly.

Guitar is one I’ve always struggled with, even though I played it in the second band!! Always feel a bit like Richey James in that respect. I can play, but not to anyone’s idea of competency.

Drums, again, I can play, but that’s by virtue of having rhythm rather than being able to do any of the complex stuff.

Violin and piano I love, and was classically trained in both, but the opportunity to play either now (especially in a block of flats) is few and far between. Suppose I should look to joining a local orchestra but again, how would I practice?

5 Likes

As in Isle of Man symphony orchestra?

That’s the one

I hope as well as further afield tours that you did exclusive IoM ones just circling the whole island.

3 Likes

I didn’t know that, that is really cool (as is the other stuff, ofc)

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to make music, but really struggled with voice dysphoria and general mental health stuff

like, my writing and planning for making music has always been tangled up in my struggle to be well and construct some kind of sense of self I feel comfortable in

1 Like

Did the overtly male nature of many music spaces seem off-putting?

I’ve only ever really thought about music in a bedroom sense, really. always thought about what I was writing and plotting in a recorded sense?

although I would say I find I’ve found it quite difficult being in and around venues - I just don’t really get groups of guys, felt quite alienating a lot of the time.

same would go for the thought of being in bands with guys.

1 Like

like, I’m quite gentle and not very confident/assertive in those instances because my sense of who I am is so diffuse?

probs part of what made me focus more on trying to work towards making music at home.

1 Like

Also here’s two guides for total beginners that I wrote:

Amps:

Pedals:

4 Likes

I’m interested in the demographics here of this website (poll open to everyone):

• I am a woman and I play guitar/bass/drums
  • I fall into some other category, but also experienced similar social conditioning growing up - for example AFAB NB person and I play guitar/bass/drums
  • This is not me

0 voters

I selected the option I did but maybe it should be past tense.

Nah it’s all fine- I’m more interested in finding out how many people there are with an interest in this stuff than being strict about who currently does what if that makes sense

1 Like

nb person who plays guitar

Here it is again- NO BROS