Music Hot Takes 🔥 🔥

Objection

thats the hot take cause Sleater-Kinnery WERE good

Actually, maybe a Sleater-Kinney hot take is I thought The Center Won’t Hold was pretty good. Nowhere near the level of their best stuff, but still a decent album.

4 Likes

Still good live (didn’t see the Meltdown show) but Double Negative is a waste of some good songs imo #hottake

1 Like

I had a choice to either see This Will Destroy You or TV On The Radio live a few years back and inexplicably chose TWDY. Spent most of the gig wondering if the other one was better which would not have been difficult

1 Like

You lads have totally reasonable takes here.
Double Negative songs sound good live but on record it was impossible to know.
Production spoilt that album.

Listened to Double Negative once and never went back to it. Horrendously produced

4 Likes

Musicians obsess too much over how clean and clear their recordings should be. It’s better rougher, and even if something in there is basically ‘‘wrong’’ by not going to a click or just roughshod production by audiophile standards it usually just adds character.

10 Likes

some bands should just release the demos really

3 Likes

Are you a member of Disintegration State recording artists MueseuM? Because this is exactly our philosophy.

1 Like

Got me back in love with Low after a decade of gradually losing interest. The production on Double Negative is really gripping.

3 Likes

The last Low really splits opinion.
The production invalidates the album for me.
Without hearing the songs played live I would have no idea if they are any good.
It’s like someone turning on a white noise effect or fucking with the hifi settings as you’re trying to listen.
I really hope they don’t go that route on the next album.

1 Like

Phew!

here’s my latest take:
Hardcore punk’s good and indie rock’s good but contemporary punk rock’s boring. all these bands like Idles and Protomartyr and Fontaines DC and all the other ones are all boring and there’s way too many of them

5 Likes

Otoboke Beaver are a tremendous modern punk band so not a universal truth.

2 Likes

yep

how could you

And Jeff Rosenstock, Press Club etc are great as well. The problem isn’t with punk rock, it’s with Protomartyr - my own hot take is that they are a very boring band. Don’t get the adulation at all.

2 Likes

Not sure this is a hot take. Loads of people have said it, on here and elsewhere. They are all wrong though.

I wonder if they realise how much they sound like some old dad saying ‘what is this noise? Why don’t they make a proper record with proper songs where you can hear the words?’

1 Like

One of these bands is not like the others

3 Likes