🎷 Music League 7 - The Cult of Music League - Round 9 🎷 A track that shares its name with a movie

• Track needs to have the same name as movie but is not allowed to be featured in said movie.

This round starts tomorrow.
https://app.musicleague.com/l/54e41c037f2f410e911088ae4c911c59/

List of tracks previously used on music league…

1 Like
  • Titles must be identically the same
  • Song title can contain other words besides the film title

0 voters

this is a round i would have picked had i not been SCREWED out of it (i’m over it now), so i’ve pondered this a lot. my thinking was i’d allow it within reason e.g. if there was a song called “watching hot fuzz on itv2” that would be ok, but a song that happens to contain the word “it” can gtf

2 Likes

No. This is my round. Exact film titles only

1 Like
The movie my song shares a name with
  • I have seen the movie
  • Haven’t seen the movie

0 voters

Which came first?

• Movie
  • Song

0 voters

• I already knew a song that shares a name with a movie
  • I picked a song I liked and found a movie that shares its name
  • I picked a movie I liked and found a song that shares its name

0 voters

• Shares name because it’s in the soundtrack to the movie
  • Completely unrelated to the namesake movie, just a coincidence

0 voters

Think it was stated by the setter previously that it’s specifically not meant to be soundtracks - I’m reading it that it doesn’t have to be coincidence (ie it’s fine to be named after the movie) but it isn’t to be part of the actual soundtrack.

2 Likes

I’ll be playing to a rule that the movie needs to be a minimum size to count - if it has so few ratings and reviews that it looks like you might have made up the imdb entry yourself to squeeze a song in this round that won’t cut it. I’ll need the movie to have been big enough that at least a few of us would have heard of it and/or seen it.

Yeah I thought that after I set the poll, there’s a third option isn’t there - named after the movie but not directly related to it

Oh… And there’s also ‘my song shares its name with a movie and is on its soundtrack, but it was written before the movie existed and was included on the OST specifically because it shared a name with the movie’

My poll-making career is off to a shaky start…

Pretty pleased. I was scrolling through a very long alphabetical list of songs that I own, but after reaching the songs beginning with C, I thought I would check through my playlist of songs I want to try to shoehorn into music league rounds, and found one where the film isn’t even one of @Octobadger’s made up IMDB films!

Spoiler alert: my song doesn’t begin with A or B.

1 Like

No.

Will note that syntax differences are ok eg:

The Runningman
Runningman

but not:

The Running Man Runs
Running Man Is a Good Film

hope that helps

What if The Running Man was released in, say, Poland, as “The Running Man Runs”? Would it be ok then?

Well obvs I can’t actually police this at the end of the day, it’s up to the voters but I consider that acceptable

1 Like

i looked through lots of songs i owned until i found a couple that made me think “oh there’s a film called that”

had an obvious pic from a fav album named for a very famous film, then randomly stumbled onto a track i’d never heard before named for a fav film - felt serendipitous

have since considered playing X specific artist and looking out for tracks that match film names, but that seems against the spirit of the enterprise

This should be easy, right? Just find a bunch of songs you like and stick them into imdb :grin:

1 Like

People’s insistence on following “the rules” had meant my excellent original pick no longer counts. Vaguely tempted to submit it anyway but have just teme something I like that shares its name with a film I really didn’t like, so might submit that instead.