🎷 Music League - Airwolf v Blue Thunder 🚁 Round 8 - Band of 5

I reckon I’ll get five points. If that happens, I’m the real winner of this round, right?

3 Likes

Yep, most of my artists are maybe 1-3 members big, or at the other end of the polyphonic spree / I’m From Barcelona scale with countless members. Not too many 5 piece bands for me, but I’ve got a couple I’m torn between at least.

I like the idea in principle but say the round was called a track from 2001 then 41 or however many people need to pick (A) a track from 2001 and (B) Pick an artist that hasn’t featured before that would be pretty tough. I think everything in moderation. If an artist has say 5 plays across 4 leagues that’s fine. But if an artist has 5 plays in one league then it’s a bit much. I’m all for having a round called an artist that hasn’t featured before.

4 Likes

Submitted an all-timer for this round. 7 points, tops.

Think the idea of repeat artists is one that should be self-regulated rather than one we set rules for. If you don’t want to listen to a song because the artist has come up multiple times before then just don’t listen or vote for it - if enough people don’t want it then the low score will be a deterrent. If it gets a high score, it’s what some people really want.

3 Likes

I just pick and vote for songs I like that fit the bill. Its quite simple really

1 Like

Post/user interface.

13 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I do. I think I gave sfa a point at the start, but no more points once they repeated. I like the idea of people not picking repeat artists, but they can continue to do so, especially if other people still vote for them.
Will still occasionally moan or tick the like button for any moans about repeat artists though!

Same, finding it surprisingly hard to find any 5 person bands that haven’t already featured loads of times.

It’s enough of a pain in the arse trying to check whether my own submission options have five members - no way I’m even attempting to validate anyone else’s!

4 Likes

Well I was so happy with my choice, but somebody else has brilliantly chosen the same artist. no wax werk this round then, perhaps morning chorus?

2 Likes

“XXXXXXXXXXX are a five-piece band from…”

Is my favourite opening line for a wikipedia entry at the moment.

8 Likes

yes but were they at the time of recording?

4 Likes

Most bands record with overdubs, so when you think about it aren’t they just a random collection of 5 totally separate musicians who play different parts at different points in the space time continuum, rather than one whole band? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

How does someone like Lenny Kravitz come into this, where for a bunch of his older (better) stuff, he recorded everything himself? Or Dave Grohl for the first Foo Fighters album.

I’m not playing either of these, just curious.

It might be a controversial opinion but I’m going out on a limb and saying I don’t consider Lenny Kravitz to be a five person band.

12 Likes

I did consider risking a certain fictional quintet for this round. If anyone’s been braver than me & submitted them I’ll throw a point their way.

1 Like

Pretty sure there were more than 5 in the Wombles

1 Like

Can I have your sign off to get this on a t shirt please?

1 Like

Permission granted on condition of photographic evidence of the finished article!

1 Like