Music League: PRE SEASON... league... thing

Yes, you could do another live round from YouTube, so much great stuff on there.

I think the YouTube thing might just have to be a separate entity, and involve some awkward voting system.

INdie classics coming your way!

I’m pretty sure you can’t unless they’ve updated the app recently

When you set up your league it does let you specify that (eg) nominations for round 2 start before voting in round 1 ends as Octobadger described, but then once the game starts it ignores all that effort and just does one after the other, nominate then vote then nominate etc, one active phase at a time.

From bitter experience…!

In!

Am i IN time?

You set the times and dates for submissions due, and for votes due for every round separately. It is possible to overlap, this happened in our first league by one hour occasionally because of how it was set up - you may remember sometimes it seemed that the submission entry window opened one hour “early”.

What was happening there was the voting window was closing at 1pm for round A with round B starting at 12pm the following day. On the Web app it wouldn’t indicate you could submit nominations for round B until round A voting was complete but the email link to submit comes out exactly 24 hours ahead of the next round starting.

I recall Brainfreeze had to shuffle league 1 rounds a bit after accidentally having the Loud round playlist go live almost straight after the previous round finished with about 3 submissions - that was unintended so he deleted that round and bumped it on at the end instead.

I’m pretty sure that having observed all that, the system I suggested would work as long as people know to submit via the email link rather than waiting for the Web app to show the round as open. I’ll chuck it in the discord channel that the creator has to double check.

Might work then if you’ve seen it work before, give it a go. I tried it recently as admin, overlapping start times inputted in the league setup screen just automatically change themselves when you click Start League, so that only one phase is live at time.

The music league app was updated recently, since we did the first league, to make the game progress as soon as everyone has submitted or voted so that might have changed things, tbh I never checked the email link trick!

Hasn’t this always been the case? I think the reason it doesn’t work in the main DiS league is that there are a few people that sign up but don’t end up playing.

From my experience, round one will always allow submissions up to the closing date, I guess to allow new players to join. But all rounds after that will close and start as soon as all players in round one have submitted/voted.

I don’t believe the actual start times change when you start, it’s just that the web app will display the scheduled future start times as though they had, so it looks a bit funny. But if you go back into edit your specific rounds the times should stay consistent with how you entered them - I just tested this and seems to work fine. Got a response on Discord, scheduled solution to thais appears to be to limit the flexibility on start times rather than update the web app display though:

That should work with some caveats: the only email people would get is the submission reminder 24 hours ahead of time (which I think works okay for you here), the appearance in the app like you mentioned, etc. I wouldn’t expect it to be a great experience in the app because it’s not designed to support multiple phases at one time. I actually have on my list an item to prevent due dates from accidentally being set up that way, I just haven’t gotten to it yet.
The setup that you’re describing sometimes happens by accident today when people are setting up the league, and that can be very confusing when the emails start going out.

And re: the update - what has changed is there is now the option for the league creator to generate the playlist at any time if ready - so even before the first round, if you know you’ve got all the people interested registered and submitted their song they can generate the playlist early. Equally could do this on subsequent rounds e.g. if four or five people have stopped playing but are still registered, if the host knows all active players have submitted then the playlist can be pushed out early manually (used to only happen if all registered users had submitted).

Early on the admin had to manually edit the start time for the voting phase after everyone had finished nominating their song to get it to move on, otherwise it would make you wait until the deadline, there was no option to start the next phase early. Now you get a nice easy button to press.

Edit: @Octobadger yeah this :+1:

(In btw, if there are spaces left)

Fair enough, I’ve never run one of these so have never seen behind the admin curtain.

Ok, so I think I’ve got it worked out with what everyone has been saying. But just to be 100%, the following…

… is something that can be done? Have had a look at what you have to do to set it up and it all looks fairly straightforward.

Also, I know this isn’t done in the main league as it’s generally very positive, which is one of the things I enjoy most. But I saw this and thought… how about we make it a lil spicy in preseason…

If no one wants to do this, I totally get it. But could be fun as long as it doesn’t get too mean…?

6 Likes

“Spicy” I can handle. Bring on the spice!

It might be the first time that we both get to vote for each other! :smiley:

1 Like

Seems like a good time to experiment with downvoting, or any other settings to be honest. Relatively low stakes if it doesn’t improve since its just a quickfire pre-season game.

1 Like