Music League Round 8 - Australia

:+1: good stuff! He has quite a large discography and some of it really goes for it with the trance synths.

This was off an early album and may explain the poor levels it has on Spotify.

Any of his stuff is worth a listen but I would recommend his 2019 album The Density Parameter as a starter.

Apology not accepted

:disappointed_relieved:

Didnā€™t realise the Boys Next Door album was on Spotify finally. Not sure Iā€™ve ever heard the whole thing as I can only remember a couple of tracks, though Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m missing much. Interesting how commercial they started out before turning into The Birthday Party and making violent post-punk noise.

Shivers is good though

Love how everybody laid into the Hard-Ons song AND YET IT STILL SCORED MORE POINTS THAN MINE

2 Likes

Could have got double Australia points with this version

Loving that Mr Bolus wasted two kingmaker votes.

Maybe stick them there eggs in more baskets next time?

3 Likes

Dunno I think I gained points. No way I was going to try and find an aussie artist not already picked once 40 odd people had already entered :joy:

Having said that no one did nick cave soā€¦

think I was in a bad mood that day. do hate that type of music though

well i heard that type of music hates you!!! howā€™d you liek those apples!

5 Likes

Best live band I have ever seen, and Iā€™ve seen a few.

The league is full of Philcollinsistines.

The Castle Face record last year was quite good but definitely listen to the earlier stuff first. Primary Colours (the album which had the song chosen (not by me)) is a massive banger).

Quite disappointed that (I donā€™t think) the person who chose the Divinyls was our in-house Cupcakke nominator as itā€™s kind of like a proto Cupcakke. Amazing it made it onto the radio 1 playlist.

1 Like

oh had no idea about the Birthday Party connection (never listened to them)

1 Like

Was tempted to go in two-footed on the Middle East song but decided that it was probably a good example of a genre that really isnā€™t for me. Feel somewhat vindicated that even the people who enjoyed it think that itā€™s twee and wet.

he wrote Shivers at 16?? Fuck sake

1 Like

Youā€™re twee and wet mate,
Youā€™re twee and wet.

:wink:

great band

1 Like

Dude, just saw you mention ā€œrectifyā€ in the comments for the Australian voting. Absolutely amazing show! High up there, for me. And never ā€œmetā€ anyone else who knows about it :+1:

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve ranted about it on here a few times, it is the underrated show in recent TV history!

Could do with a rewatch tbh

1 Like

I have a thing with super ā€œintenseā€ (not quite the right word, but canā€™t think of better) shows/films where I leave it with just the one watch.

Usually itā€™s for more brutal/upsetting type stuff, which this wasnā€™t really, but Iā€™m not sure I will watch it again, maybe.

It was absolutely brilliant though, in every way. And a very strong final season too, which always gets more points, as many shows struggle to round it all off.

1 Like

i wasnā€™t totally invested in the new relationship, at least not compared to how deeply I felt other parts of the show. But I did like what they did with that story arc anyway, it was a much stronger ending than many other acclaimed shows manage, and the final scenes and images were absolutely stunning and unimpeachable

1 Like