🎷 Music League - (The Yeoman’s Revenge) Round 5 Welsh Artists 🎷

Pleased to see a number of people enjoying this, particularly half of the final day voters helping push it into the top half for the round!

I’d never heard of them until doing my research for this round but that Peel Sessions album by them is an absolute joy. I could have put any number of tracks from it on this playlist - Rauschgiftsüchtige was nearly my choice but thought at 9:34 it was pushing it a bit - but worth checking it out if you enjoyed this.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments about the Seazoo track. Didn’t know how it would go down. Saw them at EOTR in 2019 and was really looking forward to them playing Ramsgate Music Hall last year before the pando struck. Had to translate one of the comments. Not sure it’s accurate:

1 Like

I listened to the non-peel session version that’s on Spotify and it’s nowhere near as good so you definitely made the right choice to go with that version

Re: Welsh comment on Threatmantics - they were gigging in Cardiff before Los Camp formed so they may have had an influence the other way around. I guess they knew each other but my old brain can’t recall.

1 Like

It was meant to say. Loved this. Tidy!

2 Likes

Also, whilst I do not mean to defend that Space song at all, there are quite a few pedant comments saying: “he sings I don’t come from Wales” in the chorus. This is true, but Cerys Matthews, who shares lead vocals, is quite obviously from Wales…

My comment at least was tongue-in-cheek - I assure you the reason it got no points from me was entirely a decision based on merit.

i really liked the Threatmantics track and i can’t stand Los Camp so i don’t see a comparison tbf

1 Like

@SleepingCapybara Ani Glass (Gwenno’s sister)! Is my discovery of this round! Thank you for directing me to her. Doesn’t sound dissimilar to Robyn or Annie, CRJ it’s a shame that more people aren’t aware of this album. I’ve been rinsing it this week!

2 Likes

Yeah me neither, just happened to be about at the same time in the same place I think

Just played it myself. It’s really great.

1 Like

Yeah sorry to whoever picked it, wasn’t aware (however obvious it should be) and just quickly googled the band. Knew at the back of my head that they were from Liverpool so wanted to make sure…

Had to make a lot of arbitrary choices anyway as there was tonnes of good stuff in this playlist and was difficult to trim it down!

Haha

I did not expect anyone to vote for this anyway because it is such a bad song with few merits. Thanks for the two points!

I got to this late in the day and literally every song or artist II’d have liked to have chosen was already used. I gave them my points.

1 Like

The Truckers of Husk track is absolutely mint! A bit Battles-ish.

I’m trying to stick to only voting for songs that I’ve either never heard before or am only vaguely familiar with. And this round was really tough for that as there were truly so many songs that were picked which I love. It’s just great for new recommendations!

3 Likes

Thanks to those that voted H Hawkline btw! Would really recommend his most recent two albums - FFO Cate Le Bon, Tim Presley / White Fence and Devendra Banhart’s albums like Ma and Ape in Pink Marble:

I Romanticize (2017)

In The Pink of Condition (2015)

Not spent as much time with their first two records. Really hope there’s some new material soon.

2 Likes

i hadn’t listened to ToH in ages actually but dug them up for this round. their guitarist was in Jarcrew and was very briefly in an early incarnation of FOTL apparently, and then Kelson joined them on bass after he left FOTL

1 Like

Ah gotcha! Hadn’t heard of Jarcrew either so it was just more explore. The track is really math-y in places, is the rest of the album like that? Saw That Fucking Tank and Three Trapped Tigers on their related artists and it certainly captures that intensity that they have / had.

Really like H.Hawkline. Was very surprised to not see Sweet Baboo on the playlist to complete the triumvirate with H and Cate.

1 Like

it’s most fairly mathy but a bit all over the place from what i remember, some tracks are much more keyboard heavy

they had a good EP a couple of years earlier (before Kelson joined) which is almost entirely instrumental and much more straight up math rock which is also good. i considered this EP track for my pick

i think they still exist but on a very part time basis, i found they’ve released a couple of singles in recent years which i must check out

1 Like