🎷 Music League - (The Yeoman’s Revenge) Round 5 Welsh Artists 🎷

pretty sure there is a lot more to offer in terms of Welsh music than the obvious. Don’t think any rules need relaxing.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s fine. I’m not trying to throw shade at Welsh music, I’m just conscious from experience in the ‘pick a song from 1997 round’ that it gets tough, even outside the immediately obvious when you have 50-75 people from a relatively small pool…especially when you don’t get in there quick.

I’m torn between a great artist who will almost certainly hoover up the points if I get in there first and a more obscure one who probably won’t but might introduce someone to something they like but haven’t heard before.

REPEAT ARTISTS OPEN POLL

• It’ll be fine to pick an artist that’s featured already
  • Absolutely not! No points to anyone that picks an artist who’s already been picked!

0 voters

Also

• I’ll try and pick an artist that hasn’t been chosen, even if it means I might have to pick a fairly out-there artist
  • Nah fuck it I’m selecting Ice Hockey Hair and there’s nothing you pedants can do about it

0 voters

Apologies to @marwood I may have deleted your vote while I sorted out the wording

fairplay. Just get a bit narked when every time Welsh music is mentioned Tom Jones or the Stereophonics seem to be the default comments… Anyway, I’m working on a thread specifically about Welsh music where I hope people can share stuff that isn’t obvious… :+1:t2:

6 Likes

Would you mind starting that thread in about one week when Welsh round of music league is over. I hope you take part in music league. It’s all in good spirits and most of us have discovered new artists as a result.

why’s that? will it interfere with voting do you think?!

Any questions about the workings of music league then I’m sure people on here can help.

Avoided repeating artists initially but as the rounds stack up I’m a lot more open to it particularly if it was a while ago, though I’ll still lean towards someone who hasn’t featured before as first preference usually.

Think I’ve only picked 2 artists who had featured already so far.

Possibly. Do you mind?

No of course not dude. I was getting excited about sharing lots of lesser known stuff, been meaning to do it for ages. But it gives me more time to find even more weird and wonderful oddities!!

6 Likes

People pick their choices for music league and nobody knows who picked what until the voting has ended. The playlist gets published and nobody admits to what they have chosen so voting remains unbiased. Once the votes are counted it’s fair game for talking about the entrants.

1 Like

I understand that. I’m sure they’ll both make an appearance on the playlist, but as with every other round there will be plenty on there that’s interesting and new as well. Will look out for your thread.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing this thread once you get it up and running. I am definitely in the category of only knowing the obvious bands/artists from Wales (or may well know of more but not realize they are actually Welsh) so definitely up for exploring more than just the 'Phonics/Tom Jones.

1 Like

I feel like I need to apologise for my Stereophonics and Wynne Evans quips earlier in the thread now. I do actually know and love a lot of Welsh acts, not all of them obvious, so I’m looking forward to this.

nah don’t be daft. Personally speaking I just do a ‘sigh’ when I read things like the constant Tom Jones jokes or references to the Phonics or Manics when there’s a mention of Welsh music. Hopefully the Music League and my thread next week will open peoples eyes a bit to lots of other stuff.

1 Like

got a good choice - been a favourite of mine since i saw them absolutely killing a support set a while back, not seen them get much love here though so feeling it should be new to most people

Looking forward to this one. I was heavily ensconced in the Cardiff scene in the mid-noughties so have a huge amount of questionable options to choose from

Hopefully not Lost Prophets

2 Likes

Not that questionable

2 Likes

Defo check out my thread next week (mentioned above) would be great to get your favourites in there!

2 Likes